Just got my Taylor FAS-DPD Test Kit

Nancyc

May 5, 2015
covington/Ky.
Started opening my pool yesterday. It is green but clear enough to see the bottom. The ph7.6, CYA 0?, stayed clear. I have used Baking soda about 4lb. and 1 box Borax so far. I have 68% calcium Hypochlorite from last year and just bought 8.25% bleach. What should I do next?

I'd start by picking up some stabilizer, aka CYA. You need enough to raise your CYA level to between 30-50, the more sun your pool gets would indicate the need for the higher level of CYA.

Then you need to get some bleach in there pronto. You've got the CalHypo so it wouldn't hurt to use that and bump up your calcium level, but I think bleach might be a fast fix to get some chlorine in the water and start dealing with the green. You might need to perform a SLAM procedure, and you'll need bleach for that. Please read the pool school article on SLAMing your pool.

Welcome :)

Thanks everyone! Found your reply's late last night. :oops: Still learning my way around.
Started SLAMing , added 3 jugs of bleach then 2.5 more an hour later. Pool looks better! Its a very light green and a little cloudy but I can still see the bottom.
New Tests
CF 4
CC 1
Ph. 7.2
TA 110
CH 150
CA 0

I am going to get the FC back to 10 and test every few hours. Do I need to run all the test every time? I will buy some stabilizer and use the Cal Hypo today.
I also have a Hayward heater. Will the stabilizer in the skimmer harm the heater?

The first test was after backing soda and Borax. About 1/4 of pool was fresh water. I don't know if there was any CA in last years water. I have just learned how important CA is here. I'm glad I found TFP!

Just focus on FC and CC tests for right now. I would not use cal hypo. Just stick with bleach. Test CYA in about 5 days.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I don't think the stabilizer in the skimmer will harm the heater any.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.