Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool drained for CYA control...is there anything I should do while it is empty...

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool drained for CYA control...is there anything I should do while it is empty...

I've just drained my 9,000 gal in-ground, plaster-finish pool to get a fresh start before summer, because the CYA had gotten out of control. I was using the 3" CL pucks, and fully aware of the consequences. My CYA concentration was at least above 100, but how much more I do not know, since the gauge on that little cylinder only goes to 100.

Anyway, that water is gone now and the pool is empty. Are there any routine maintenance items I should consider before putting water back in? I can see that my pool light fixture has water in it, so that I can fix no problem. I do have some white scale on my blue tile surround, and the scale is at about where the water level is normally. What might remove this? And, what about a light acid wash on the plaster itself? Not really sure that I know what I am talking about here - but, since the pool is empty at the moment, which makes for some good opportunities, I thought I'd ask the experts!...
    9K gal in-ground plaster pool
    Hayward ProGrid D.E. 2420 Filter
    Hayward Northstar Series 1HP Pump/Motor
    Stenner 3 GPD bleach pump and Pentair 320 Inline Chlorinator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool drained for CYA control...is there anything I should do while it is empty...

The white line might come off with some diluted muratic acid and scrubbing ... or a pumice stone ... or bead/soda blasting.

I would not acid wash the pool unless you have bad calcium scaling ... it will just shorten the life of the plaster. Also, you really should not leave the pool empty and exposed to the heat and sun for very long.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pool drained for CYA control...is there anything I should do while it is empty...

I'd say open the hydrostatic valve in your main drain, but you probably have a low water table where you are at.

ya get the water back in so the sun doesn't bake your plaster.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter