Pros and Cons of adding a second skimmer/return?

Brannon132

Platinum Supporter
May 5, 2015
Enumclaw, Wa
Questions about plumbing since I'm re-plumbing:

I need to plumb in my pump/sand filter/solar/heater/swcg...

Does someone have a schematic of where to put all the couplers/valves and such for plumbing a pool? Last time I did it wrong.

Last year my skimmer kept getting clogged either with leaves or with kids toys.
Should I run two skimmers?
One is in the corner, where should I install the second?
What are the pros and cons of a second skimmer?
Also wondering if I should run two or more return jets?

FYI... My wife loves to float in circles around the pool... ;)

Thanks, Brannon

Welcome Brannon,

The toys you'll have to deal with and pick up. You know the kids won't. :D

I like two, valved seperately, not tied to main drain. Think about your dominate wind direction and put it down wind of that. Two is better than one.

Welcome Brannon,

I like two, valved seperately, not tied to main drain. Think about your dominate wind direction and put it down wind of that. Two is better than one.

Thanks for the reply,

Lol my kids usually pick up the toys, it's all my family and friends that miss one or two things or don't check the trap. :p

Since I have an above ground oval pool would you suggest I put the skimmer on the opposite corner and just pipe it around?

And by valved I'm assuming you mean separate shutoff valves so I can turn one off for when I'm running a pool cleaner?

What about returns should I have add more and if so can I have them next to each other?

Thanks again, Brannon

Welcome Brannon,

Definitely think about wind direction. We installed 2 but my PB didnt really think about it at all, put it by the overflow from the spa, and the other one on the far end of the pool away from the overflow and down wind. the point is the overflow one barely catches anything unless there is a TON of debris, and the far one downwind gets STUFFED.

The downside of having two skimmers, is technically, you need twice the flow rate for them to operate properly. With an ePump, you can easily up the speed to handle two skimmers and maybe you will be able to reduce run time but it could end up costing more in energy without much of an improvement.

As was mentioned above, having one skimmer in the downwind location is much more valuable then two in the wrong location.

Generally, almost any single speed pump will support two skimmers. Most skimmers only need about 15-20 GPM. The issue is when running at low speed.

If the only reason you are adding a second skimmer is to prevent clogging, then an equalizer wall port might be an easier and better solution. If your skimmer is in the wrong location, then a second skimmer is worth it and yes you can just tee it into the other.

As for a second return, why are you adding that?

Mark,

Thank you so much for the help!

I thought an extra return would help with the flow? Going from 2" pipe to a 3/4" eyeball seems restrictive on water flow..

Can I add an equalizer port and "T" it into the skimmer I have and if so do I install it below the skimmer?

Also is there one you suggest for an above ground pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I thought an extra return would help with the flow? Going from 2" pipe to a 3/4" eyeball seems restrictive on water flow.
It is restrictive but it is also serving a purpose. The smaller eyeball creates higher exit velocity so it reaches further than a 1" eyeball. A 1" eyeball has lower head loss (i.e. higher GPM) but also lower exit velocity (ft/sec).

Also, much like a skimmer, having two returns splits the flow so each return is less effective. For a large pool, this is usually necessary because one return has a hard time reaching the far end of the pool but with a circular pool, I wouldn't think it would be an issue. If you were getting algae at the opposite end of the return (assuming a well maintained pool), it might be worthwhile adding a second return because there is evidence that circulation is an issue. So why do you think you need to increase flow?

Can I add an equalizer port and "T" it into the skimmer I have and if so do I install it below the skimmer?
I would add the T right before the pump. Does your skimmer have two holes in the bottom?

I have great flow in my oval pool, it's fun to float in circles around my pool... I had no problems with algae or anything just problems with air in my pump from my skimmer getting clogged....

I only have one pipe coming out of my skimmer... Do I need to buy a new one?

It would be a good idea to have a second pipe for the second skimmer to go to the pump and tee it at the pump.

No you don't need a skimmer with two ports. Only if you had a wall equalizer port would that be necessary. You can just get another skimmer like you have with pipe and tee it in at the pump. You could also use a 3-way valve if you wanted to so you can shut off one or even both skimmers when you clean the pump basket.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.