Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pros and Cons of adding a second skimmer/return?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Pros and Cons of adding a second skimmer/return?

Questions about plumbing since I'm re-plumbing:

I need to plumb in my pump/sand filter/solar/heater/swcg...

Does someone have a schematic of where to put all the couplers/valves and such for plumbing a pool? Last time I did it wrong.

Last year my skimmer kept getting clogged either with leaves or with kids toys.
    Should I run two skimmers?
    One is in the corner, where should I install the second?
    What are the pros and cons of a second skimmer?
    Also wondering if I should run two or more return jets?

FYI... My wife loves to float in circles around the pool...

Thanks, Brannon
    15x30 AG 12k, Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 hp, 21' sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400 propane heater. Intex swcg, Wanda the whale, upgrading to an Suntouch with Solar Bear Panels...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pros and Cons of adding a second skimmer/return?

Welcome Brannon,

The toys you'll have to deal with and pick up. You know the kids won't.

I like two, valved seperately, not tied to main drain. Think about your dominate wind direction and put it down wind of that. Two is better than one.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    Welcome Brannon,

I like two, valved seperately, not tied to main drain. Think about your dominate wind direction and put it down wind of that. Two is better than one.
    Thanks for the reply,

Lol my kids usually pick up the toys, it's all my family and friends that miss one or two things or don't check the trap.

Since I have an above ground oval pool would you suggest I put the skimmer on the opposite corner and just pipe it around?

And by valved I'm assuming you mean separate shutoff valves so I can turn one off for when I'm running a pool cleaner?

What about returns should I have add more and if so can I have them next to each other?

Thanks again, Brannon
    15x30 AG 12k, Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 hp, 21' sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400 propane heater. Intex swcg, Wanda the whale, upgrading to an Suntouch with Solar Bear Panels...

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    Welcome Brannon,

Definitely think about wind direction. We installed 2 but my PB didnt really think about it at all, put it by the overflow from the spa, and the other one on the far end of the pool away from the overflow and down wind. the point is the overflow one barely catches anything unless there is a TON of debris, and the far one downwind gets STUFFED.
    12000g pool + 1000g spa. Jandy 2.0hp epump + separate Jandy pump for Sheer Descent. Jandy CV Cartridge Filter. Jandy Lxi gas heater. Tropical Breeze PebbleTec. Aqualink. Aquapure SWG. Nature 2. The Pool Cleaner 2x. Taylor K-2005.

5. Back To Top    #5

The downside of having two skimmers, is technically, you need twice the flow rate for them to operate properly. With an ePump, you can easily up the speed to handle two skimmers and maybe you will be able to reduce run time but it could end up costing more in energy without much of an improvement.

As was mentioned above, having one skimmer in the downwind location is much more valuable then two in the wrong location.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks Mark,

The wind usually blows either way across the pool, the main problem I'm having is any little toy/dive ring/few leaves in the skimmer basket causes the pump to suck in air....

Is there a way to tell if this pump will support two skimmers?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the skimmer I already have installed

Thanks Brannon

7. Back To Top    #7

Generally, almost any single speed pump will support two skimmers. Most skimmers only need about 15-20 GPM. The issue is when running at low speed.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks Mark,

I guess worst case scenario is I plug the skimmer I added...

So the plumbing would go skimmers to a coupler to a shutoff valve to a T then to the pump?

Also would you add another return?

Thanks, Brannon

9. Back To Top    #9

If the only reason you are adding a second skimmer is to prevent clogging, then an equalizer wall port might be an easier and better solution. If your skimmer is in the wrong location, then a second skimmer is worth it and yes you can just tee it into the other.

As for a second return, why are you adding that?
    Mark

10. Back To Top    #10

Mark,

Thank you so much for the help!

I thought an extra return would help with the flow? Going from 2" pipe to a 3/4" eyeball seems restrictive on water flow..

Can I add an equalizer port and "T" it into the skimmer I have and if so do I install it below the skimmer?

Also is there one you suggest for an above ground pool?

11. Back To Top    #11

I thought an extra return would help with the flow? Going from 2" pipe to a 3/4" eyeball seems restrictive on water flow.
    It is restrictive but it is also serving a purpose. The smaller eyeball creates higher exit velocity so it reaches further than a 1" eyeball. A 1" eyeball has lower head loss (i.e. higher GPM) but also lower exit velocity (ft/sec).

Also, much like a skimmer, having two returns splits the flow so each return is less effective. For a large pool, this is usually necessary because one return has a hard time reaching the far end of the pool but with a circular pool, I wouldn't think it would be an issue. If you were getting algae at the opposite end of the return (assuming a well maintained pool), it might be worthwhile adding a second return because there is evidence that circulation is an issue. So why do you think you need to increase flow?

Can I add an equalizer port and "T" it into the skimmer I have and if so do I install it below the skimmer?
    I would add the T right before the pump. Does your skimmer have two holes in the bottom?
    Mark

12. Back To Top    #12

I have great flow in my oval pool, it's fun to float in circles around my pool... I had no problems with algae or anything just problems with air in my pump from my skimmer getting clogged....

I only have one pipe coming out of my skimmer... Do I need to buy a new one?

13. Back To Top    #13

It would be a good idea to have a second pipe for the second skimmer to go to the pump and tee it at the pump.
    Mark

14. Back To Top    #14

Sorry Mark,

I was asking if I need to buy a new skimmer that has two pipes coming out for an equalizer port or if I can buy a separate equalizer port and T it in the my existing skimmer.

Thanks dude!!!!
    Brannon

15. Back To Top    #15

No you don't need a skimmer with two ports. Only if you had a wall equalizer port would that be necessary. You can just get another skimmer like you have with pipe and tee it in at the pump. You could also use a 3-way valve if you wanted to so you can shut off one or even both skimmers when you clean the pump basket.
    Mark

16. Back To Top    #16

Ok great,

Do you know if I can 2" hard pipe these skimmers?

And then add a 3 way valve like this one?
    http://www.poolproducts4less.com/pen...de-263028.html

Thanks for all the help,
    Sorry for all the rookie questions, I try to search everything before I ask it.
    Brannon

17. Back To Top    #17

I don't know for sure but I don't see a reason why not.
    Mark