SW recommendations not matching store recommendations

mmalka

May 6, 2015
FL
I am new to this and just read here the recommendations for salt water chemistry:

FC 4-6 ppm
PH 7.5-7.8
TA 60-80
CH 250-350 for plaster
CYA 70-80
Salt 200-400 ppm ABOVE recommended optimum level
Borates 30-50 ppm (optional)

I just had my water tested at Leslie's and they recommend:
FC 1-4 ppm
PH 7.2-7.8
TA 80-120
CH 200-400
CYA 60-99

What concerns me the most is the huge difference in TA.

So, what guideline should I follow (salt water chlorinator outdoor pool, new plaster as of Aug 2014, solar heater)?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!

The answer depends on whose advice you are going to follow ;)
I would recommend us :D

A SWG tends to cause the pH to rise, but having a lower TA, the pH will not rise as fast.
Also there FC levels are too low to ensure that you will not have algae.

TFP method all the way!!!!!

When I followed the pool store's advice, I kept having problems. Once I switched to the TFP method, no more problems, and it cost me far less!

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

I think that you will find that there is very little we agree with when you compare to most pool store advice. Their goal is to keep you coming in for free water testing and selling you as much stuff as they can. It's your choice as to which method you follow.

To quote Dave, Site Owner of TFP:
Throughout TFP, you will read that we suggest certain levels that good science and practical experience has taught us fall within safe ranges.

Further reading of posts here will draw you to the inescapable conclusion that these guidelines work.......in thousands and thousands of pools worldwide.

You may or may not choose to use these methods and guidelines or you may use some and not others. Our goal is to teach you what has been proven time and time again and then let you use that information to your benefit.

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

I think that you will find that there is very little we agree with when you compare to most pool store advice. Their goal is to keep you coming in for free water testing and selling you as much stuff as they can. It's your choice as to which method you follow.

To quote Dave, Site Owner of TFP:

Thank you all for the fast and great replies. I will take your suggestions, as I have been fighting all the time to low the pH and it keeps creeping up. It seems that the numbers suggested by the stores are not helping.
Another interesting thing is that yesterday I took a water sample to a store and today to another. Some results matched, but some were so different that made me lose the trust.
Examples:
One said the my TA was 50, while the other said 120.
Calcium hardness - 350 vs. 240
CYA - 50 vs 43

The only thing I know for sure is that I have to lower the pH, as both agreed it is 8.0, increase the FC as one measured 2.0 and the other 2.5, and increase CYA. Not sure what to do about the TA...
I think I will start by adding acid, as with the pH high as it is, the rest is secondary, correct?
Thanks again!

Thank you all for the fast and great replies. I will take your suggestions, as I have been fighting all the time to low the pH and it keeps creeping up. It seems that the numbers suggested by the stores are not helping.
Another interesting thing is that yesterday I took a water sample to a store and today to another. Some results matched, but some were so different that made me lose the trust.
Examples:
One said the my TA was 50, while the other said 120.
Calcium hardness - 350 vs. 240
CYA - 50 vs 43

The only thing I know for sure is that I have to lower the pH, as both agreed it is 8.0, increase the FC as one measured 2.0 and the other 2.5, and increase CYA. Not sure what to do about the TA...
I think I will start by adding acid, as with the pH high as it is, the rest is secondary, correct?
Thanks again!
If you are really bored one day take two exact samples and visit two stores and have them analyzed......

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.