DIY Swim platform for my AG Intex pool

May 6, 2015
San Jose, CA
Good afternoon AG pool owners,

I am new to the forum but have about 7 years of pool ownership under my belt. I was reading some of the great posts on AG modifications and builds, and thought I would share my own pool build.

I love, love, love my pool but as any AG pool owner knows it does have it's share of limitations. Personally I am happy to just float on my raft sipping a margarita, but when my 3 year old granddaughter comes over she wants to swim. I do not really like for her to be hanging off of the ladder for a place to hold on, so that generally means she's hanging on to me! Holding her constantly in the water is slowing down my teaching her to swim.

So after endless hours researching the internet for above ground pool furniture, swimming decks, and every other search term I could think of, I decided to try and build something myself. More research on marine materials that would not tear or puncture my pool.

My concept was to have some sort of removable step or stool that would be heavy enough to remain in the pool while not in use. I headed down to Lowes and bought a ton of different PVC fittings, PVC pipe, and a composite deck board. After making a rough sketch, I thought my little DIY project would be a piece of cake....I was wrong!!

Well after many hours of measuring and cutting and cutting some more, I accomplished the vision I had in my head. I wanted my platform to be wide enough that the baby would feel safe, tall enough that she would be at least half way out of the water, and short enough that it wouldn't take up a ton of space in the pool.

Dimensions: 22"H x 38"W x 48"L

My platform is perfect for the littles to feel safe and doubles as a bench for the adults. It will easily hold 350 lbs, yet is easy to move around the pool. 10599903_788807691139558_1282295292_o.jpg20150506_123817.jpg

**If anyone is interested in the build information, I would be happy to post it. :swim:

Reactions: autumndaze23
Very nice. The first day the little one let go of my suit was so freeing for both of us. You're lucky though. Even if I had a platform, I don't think she would have let go of me for more than a minute.

Welcome Jennifer!

What a great idea! My granddaughter loves our pool and this would be very useful to us.

Hope you order a test kit and read up in Pool School. You have a great pool but the water could be a lot clearer. We can help you with that!

Welcome Jennifer!

What a great idea! My granddaughter loves our pool and this would be very useful to us.

Hope you order a test kit and read up in Pool School. You have a great pool but the water could be a lot clearer. We can help you with that!

Ouch, the guy has had pools for 7 years. The pool may be a little dirty from the kids swimming in it all day. But welcome to the forum.

Ouch, the guy has had pools for 7 years. The pool may be a little dirty from the kids swimming in it all day. But welcome to the forum.

lol yeah... Welcome to the forum.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for all the great comments! Seeing how it is 2 am, the instructions will have to wait until morning. I promise I will get it posted.

Yes, the water was a bit off. I had an algae bloom that was still clearing after slamming the water. Back to normal as of now. I was a little embarrassed to post it with the water looking that bad!

Post coming asap!

Reactions: autumndaze23
Please feel free to tailor the size to your liking. My measurements may not be exact so please cut at your own risk!! This should give you the basic idea on how to assemble and the materials needed.

Build Instructions
40-50 feet of 1" PVC pipe
(8) 3 way 1" pvc fittings
(8) T's 1" pvc fittings
(18) 2.5" Stainless steel screws
(18) Stainless steel locking nuts
(1) 12' Composite Decking Board
pvc glue

*It's best to dry fit all parts to check for any adjustments before gluing together.

Pre-cut all pvc lengths and label in the following order:
  • A. (8) 20"
  • B. (4) 19.5
  • C. (4) 13"
  • D. (4) 5.5"
I use a sharpie to label, but a grease pencil would work just as well. Begin constructing your bottom rectangle by connecting a 3 way on the ends of (2) A's. Next you will need (4) B's and (2) T's. In the opposite end of the 3 connect B followed by a T that is facing up. Should look like an upside down T. Now connect a B. You should now have a complete rectangle. Insert (6) A piece's to all fittings. This completes the bottom and the height. Set this aside and assemble the top rectangle. Starting as before with a 3 way on the end of (2) A's. Next comes (2) C's and to the ends place a T that has the open end facing in towards the rectangle. Add D to the other end of the T. Add another T that is facing up. Next add a D and another T that is facing in towards the rectangle. Add the last (2) C's to complete the rectangle. The final (2) A's connect to the T's that are facing in. You can now connect the Top rectangle to the bottom you set aside and make sure that it all fits together nice and square. Cut the Composite board to (3) 3 foot lengths and verify that they are long enough to lay across the top with at least 1" over on each end. If everything looks good begin to glue fittings together. This is the hardest part so take your time and be sure everything is square. Now that you have glued everything together turn the box upside down so that the bottom is on top. Drill a series of holes through the pipe and fittings to allow water to fill. **There are some photos that show this. Turn the box back so the top is facing up and lay the boards leaving about 1.5" gap between them. Mark each board where it lays across pipe and drill two holes through the board and the pipe. Do this for all boards. Insert the screws and secure with locking nuts. I counter sink mine so that they would not catch on little toes or swim wear, but this is optional. Drill a few holes in the top pipe to allow water in.

Here's a link to view photos of the bench that may be helpful when building. http://s751.photobucket.com/user/Jen_Grewe-Wheaton/library/Pool%20Bench%20photos?sort=3&page=1
Enjoy!!

Great bench! I think I need one in my Intex!

Do you think this bench would work with 3/4" PVC pipe as well? Reason - I have a bunch of it here left over from my kids' science fair project, including the various corners and three-way connections.

Thanks, PJ

Great bench! I think I need one in my Intex!

Do you think this bench would work with 3/4" PVC pipe as well? Reason - I have a bunch of it here left over from my kids' science fair project, including the various corners and three-way connections.

Thanks, PJ

I think 3/4" would work fine as long as there aren't any "big" kids rough housing and using it to jump off of. For the purposes of the littles or an adult sitting, it should be fine.

I would love to do this for all my drunk friends who can't swim. :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.