Started the SLAM process and the water turned green

MDee

May 4, 2015
Alto, MI
Hello,

We recently moved into a house with an above ground pool. I have not owned a pool before so I have been doing quite a bit of reading on these forums to figure out how to handle this beast. Over the past few days I've purchased a test kit, opened the pool, and drained and refilled to get the CYA levels to an appropriate level (went from 90+ to 40). Today I decided to start out the season with a good old fashioned SLAMing. Here were my test results before the SLAM:

FC: 1.6
CC: 0
PH: 7.4
TA: 170
CYA: 40
Water appearance: pretty clear with some slight orangy discoloration on the bottom and sides

Seemed like everything was pretty hunky dory so I plugged my numbers into the pool calculator and it told me to add about 3 gallons of 12.5% bleach to bring my FC up to 16. Haven't retested yet but it has been about a half hour and my pool has turned green! Huh? What is the meaning of this?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Matt

Looks like you have iron in your water. That would also explain the orangy discoloration: rust. If you can get iron free water you can drain and refill, otherwise you will need to use a sequestrant on a regular basis to prevent the iron from discoloring the water or staining the pool.

Thanks for the advice. It was well water. Our water is generally pretty good so I didn't think anything of it. I just did a check on our well water again and I get an iron content of less than 1ppm.

So here's another interesting observation. The greenish hue has been fading a bit. I've been running the filter constantly and I vacuumed quite a bit of sediment that seemed to settle on the bottom after shocking. After vacuuming I decided to do a backwash. During the first 30 seconds or so there was a brown rusty discharge coming out of the waste line. It seems like the iron is getting filtered out. I didn't think that was possible, hence the need to use sequesterant.

Now if I can just reproduce these results for St. Patrick's day we can have a great pool party!

Matt

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

Sorry you are having that problem, but everyone has jumped in with good advice.

It really is a pretty shade of green - But you missed St. Patty's day by a little over a month.

It may also be fading if the chlorine has burnt off the pool. If you add another big dose of FC, it May come right back and you'll need the sequesterant.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.