Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cartridge filters, How long do they last ??

1. Back To Top    #1

Cartridge filters, How long do they last ??

How long would the average cartridge filter last ?? I just noticed my heater "LO" light goes on now at 2000 rpms. I tested the flow when new and I could go as low as 1700 rpms with my VS pump. Just for safety sake I increased the rpms to 2000. The pool only has been opened for two weeks now and I'm thinking the filters are dirty. The gauge on the filter doesn't indicate high pressure either. Just curious. Thx
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cartridge filters, How long do they last ??

Does the gauge go to zero?

A cartridge should last many many years before having a problem, assuming you maintain the chemistry and do not allow them to get scaled up.

Maybe this is useful: http://www.troublefreepool.com/how-t...ter-t4465.html
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

The gauge reads 3psi @ 2000 rpms and 8psi @ 3000 rpms. Thx
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

4. Back To Top    #4

And when the pump is off, is it zero?

You may just look for a 20-25% pressure rise up at a higher RPM to know when to clean. I would think 3000 should be high enough.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Oh, yes yes zero when its off. The filters are only a year old as well as the pool. I was thinking when the PB laid the stamped concrete all of that powder dye stuff they use to color it went into my filter and damaged it. I did clean the filters last year. They were pretty dirty. I guess the heater can be pretty finicky when it comes to flow.

6. Back To Top    #6

I've cleaned my filters a couple times since we get a lot of pollen from the neighbors trees, doesn't take long and I figure it is good for the pump to have less resistance.

18x36 Vinyl, sports depth, 8' Roman steps at each end. Hayward 1.5hp 2speed pump, catridge filter, 2 skimmers, no main drain, 3 SR Smith Treo LED lights

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the replies everyone.