Any good way to make sure algea isn't in you pool steps ???

Jan 19, 2012
Richland, PA
Took our steps out at the end of last season, and like other seasons I could hear water inside the step and/or rail sections.
I put steps in our cellar over winter, but I always thought algea either is in the steps, or can grow inside the steps.
How to prevent this, or sanatize the steps? Can anyone glean some info on this???

deweypip

Before I put my pool ladder back into position for the Summer I put bleach in a pump-up sprayer and shoot it into the holes in the rungs, then I shake it around. I do this a few times just to be sure anything that was in there is dead.

Before I put my pool ladder back into position for the Summer I put bleach in a pump-up sprayer and shoot it into the holes in the rungs, then I shake it around. I do this a few times just to be sure anything that was in there is dead.
That is what I do as well...and I also like to bump my chlorine up a bit those first few days when I put it back in the pool...just in case.

It is hard. Our steps have one little pin hole for a drain. I considered drilling out more holes to allow water out easily, and/or for them to dry over winter. More holes = less stregth though.
The thought of a nursery bed for algea isn't one I'm crazy about.
I'll have to do a combo of what you others mentioned. Get some bleach into the steps & rails, and bump up chlorine for a while after steps put back in.
Probably the only thing you can do really....

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.