Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: compression fittings OK on flexible PVC?

1. Back To Top    #1

compression fittings OK on flexible PVC?

hi folks, i know flexible PVC cannot be used with barbs and hose clamps, but it can be seated in compression fittings, right? thank you!

(my motivation: ease of disassembly. knowing myself, i am likely to want to change things around later.)
    plumbing up wall-mounted equipment and plenty gauges below a 500G wooden outdoor hot tub.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: compression fittings OK on flexible PVC?

I have never heard of PVC flex pipe being used in any type of fitting besides the slip fit with primer and solvent.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Flex PVC is used all the time with barb fittings and clamps. Not an issue, although I prefer PVC glue.
    I can tell you even with barb fittings and clamps, those barb fittings are alomost impossible to get off once they are on.
    Why do you think you would move things around?
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm also pretty surprised by that. Must have to crank the heck out of the hose clamps. I can't even imagine that. might have to google it.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Kinda like barb fittings, clamp, and black poly. Once you get a barb fitting on, is heck to get it off. Double clamp and they wont blow.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

PVC pipe is pretty easy stuff to work with. Use the slip on fittings and primer/cement. You could always cut-out what you want to replace later. No biggie. I've never seen a compression fitting on schedule 40 PVC.
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

7. Back To Top    #7

this was very informative. definitely the slip fit is most common. great to know that i was wrong about the barbs - there is another thread reporting that some worked and some didn't - but if the hose gets so hard to remove, i won't go there.

bk406, i am a tinkerer working with an unorthodox design, so something will go wrong sooner or later. the idea of a system that can't be disassembled without cutting bits of it away and buying new parts is hard for me to swallow. i found 1.5" compression to MPT adapters for $5.
    plumbing up wall-mounted equipment and plenty gauges below a 500G wooden outdoor hot tub.