Phosphates - Any Concern?

high5va

Silver Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Chesapeake, VA
Just had my liner replaced and getting my pool back in shape and had water test at "big name" pool supply store to check myself and to do tests I don't have. All measures in good shape (FC-4, TC-4, Salt-3100, CYA-80, pH-7.6) according to them except Phosphates @ 2500, TA @120 (coming down last 2 days & rain tomorrow) and CH @ 120.
They hit me once before on phosphates and I spent a bunch on their product to reduce it, but see little at TFP on this as any real concern - should I worry? If so, is there a lower cost method or supply to reduce it?
They indicate a recommended range of 200-400 for CH, but I see TFP info saying lower is OK for vinyl - any concerns?

Thanks for any helpful advice!

high5va
Chesapeake, VA

I'd like to first off welcome you to TFP! Hope you enjoy your time here.

They hit me once before on phosphates and I spent a bunch on their product to reduce it, but see little at TFP on this as any real concern - should I worry? If so, is there a lower cost method or supply to reduce it?

As stated in this thread there is clearly no need for a member to use phosphate remover, as there simply isn't a need for it. Maintain your chlorine level and you will never have a need to worry about phosphate's.

Agree with everyone the phosphates is nothing to concern yourself with. And you have vinyl so don't go worrying about your calcium level. You don't need it.

If you maintain your free Chlorine well, Algae cannot live. If there is no Algae alive in the pool, it cannot consume phosphates for nutrients. So, your less expensive alternative is proper free Chlorine residuals. It truly is that simple. The phosphate remover is honestly a gimmick, just another product to bamboozle people with. I've never tested for them and never will. Even if I have them, and someday get a green pool, my answer to that will be the same. Free Chlorine.

Thanks to all - you guys ROCK! I suspected phosphate remover was a gimmick based on their sales push pattern, then the descriptions I found here on TFP seemed to confirm and now you all have made it absolute - thanks again!

Don't know if it is proper to call out business names here on the forum, so for any newbies - be skeptical when dealing with the largest (I believe) chain of pool supply stores in the US....I typically just use them to double check my chemistry, particularly since I don't have my own test for salt levels. Then they start spouting off about things I wasn't sure of, so I'm glad TFP is here to set the record straight. Learned my lesson.....and will send my "Phosphate" money in to support TFP !!

Well thanks for the support! :goodjob:

We know who it is, don't worry. I will say however, trust your results. They are better, and doing the double check is pointless unless you are bored and want to see how far off they sometimes are. Go to two or more places sometime if you really want some entertainment. :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.