I am having to start over.....

redhed100

Feb 25, 2010
Hi,

We have a hole in our above ground liner. Soooo we have to start completely from scratch with the water. When we got our pool 5 years ago, the installers started the water chemistry as part of the deal. It wasn't long after that I had issues and started doing my own research. That is how I found this site. Since I did not begin with BBB, I had to adjust to it based on what the "pool store" did. I noticed toward the end of last season, I was having a great deal of issues with an algae that would not die. Now I get a fresh start. So from the very beginning, what do I need to do?

Here is what I am thinking....please, please correct me if needed.

1) fill the pool (we use city water)
2) test
3) adjust as needed.

My main question is CYA, do I need to get this? Do I need to add it? How much? My volume is 7600 gallons, (18 foot round pool) & we are starting over with fresh sand in our filter this year. When I started BBB 5 years ago, they had already added this, so I have no idea how much they added.

This is my big chance to get this thing perfect the first time. :)

Sorry for your troubles.

I encourage you to check out Pool School and refresh with the ABCs first. This will be a good first step. Do you have one of the suggested kits with fresh reagents?

Easy as the 1. 2. 3. you mention :goodjob:

Circulate the pool for 30+ minutes and then test the FC, CC, pH, TA, and CH. What test kit are you using?
The CYA will be 0, so you should add about 30ppm into a sock and put that in your skimmer. Use PoolMath to calculate how much that will be for your pool.

There is rarely ever a need to replace the sand. A Deep Cleaning of your Sand Filter might be all you need.

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Yes, you need to put in CYA. The easiest way is to buy it on its own, instead of mixed with the chlorine. This way you know exactly how much you're putting in. Too much CYA is a real problem so you want to avoid it. Use the PoolMath calculator (found under poolschool link above) to determine how much to put in. Put the granules into a sock and tie it off then hang it in front of a pool return so that the water turbulence will help it dissolve faster. Give it a squeeze now and then too.

How are you planning on adding chlorine to your pool- SWG or liquid bleach? That helps you determine how much (how high) to put your CYA.
As soon as you put the CYA in, you want to also add some chlorine. Use the Chlorine/CYA chart (also found in Pool School) to determine your minimum chlorine level based on how much CYA you're going to run with. For a non-SWG pool the suggested CYA level is 30-50.

That's your starting point. Using a suggested test kit, you'll be able to determine your pool chemistry and then use PoolMath to advise you on what other chems you *might* need

Oh sorry - the TF-100.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, you need to put in CYA. The easiest way is to buy it on its own, instead of mixed with the chlorine. This way you know exactly how much you're putting in. Too much CYA is a real problem so you want to avoid it. Use the PoolMath calculator (found under poolschool link above) to determine how much to put in. Put the granules into a sock and tie it off then hang it in front of a pool return so that the water turbulence will help it dissolve faster. Give it a squeeze now and then too.

How are you planning on adding chlorine to your pool- SWG or liquid bleach? That helps you determine how much (how high) to put your CYA.
As soon as you put the CYA in, you want to also add some chlorine. Use the Chlorine/CYA chart (also found in Pool School) to determine your minimum chlorine level based on how much CYA you're going to run with. For a non-SWG pool the suggested CYA level is 30-50.

That's your starting point. Using a suggested test kit, you'll be able to determine your pool chemistry and then use PoolMath to advise you on what other chems you *might* need

I like to use the shock at the beginning, liquid as needed, and the "hockey pucks" in the chlorine dispenser.

"I like to use the shock at the beginning, liquid as needed, and the "hockey pucks" in the chlorine dispenser"

Well, possibly this is your problem you mentioned you had last year. Those "hockey pucks" contain CYA, so as your CYA level rises, your chlorine requirements rise also. If you're not keeping them in check you develop a problem.

Liquid chlorine is the way to go if you can.

I am SHOCKED!!! I had no idea the pucks contained CYA. UGH!!! Well I will be re-thinking that strategy. Thank you!!!!

How is it that my CYA level didn't change much though?? I keep a log of my test data too....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am SHOCKED!!! I had no idea the pucks contained CYA. UGH!!! Well I will be re-thinking that strategy. Thank you!!!!

How is it that my CYA level didn't change much though?? I keep a log of my test data too....

If you lost water through backwashing or splash out, and then replaced it with fresh water, your CYA could have been kept in check. Otherwise, I dunno??

You really have to put in the time reading about your pools upkeep on pool school. It is an on going learning process for all of us. You have a lot of money invested in your pool and you need to invest time in educating yourself.

Your effort will show in your pools water and your wallet. Good luck

"I like to use the shock at the beginning, liquid as needed, and the "hockey pucks" in the chlorine dispenser"

Well, possibly this is your problem you mentioned you had last year. Those "hockey pucks" contain CYA, so as your CYA level rises, your chlorine requirements rise also. If you're not keeping them in check you develop a problem.

Liquid chlorine is the way to go if you can.

Or another thing to consider, if he already has pucks, can't he use them to get his chlorine and cya started, and then he could possibly use them up and then use liquid chlorine and never resort to pucks again? That has worked for me at the beginning of the season but then the pucks go into storage till next year startup or during the season when water replacement is needed due to splashout and backwashing. I also have to drain for the northern winter freeze.

Redhed100 - where do you live?
Do you have to drain for the winter?
Inquiring minds NEED to know to - like the mods have said - it will help them help you better. :confused:

Just a thought :?:

Or another thing to consider, if he already has pucks, can't he use them to get his chlorine and cya started, and then he could possibly use them up and then use liquid chlorine and never resort to pucks again? That has worked for me at the beginning of the season but then the pucks go into storage till next year startup or during the season when water replacement is needed due to splashout and backwashing. I also have to drain for the northern winter freeze.

Yes, they can be used IF you actually need CYA and know how much they're each going to add to your existing CYA. Lots of folks plan ahead and keep their CYA on the low side just so they can use the pucks during vacations and know they won't overshoot their desired CYA level.

I used the tutorial video that you posted in my thread, on how to clean a sand filter. BUT - we already had stuff together so we took it apart and just let the overflow water go out of the pool. When we pulled the top off the filter, the pvc pipe and baffles came up. Now we are not sure how to get the baffles back down and we are not sure how high that pvc pipe was sticking up in the first place. ARRRGGGHHHHHHH

... so we took it apart and just let the overflow water go out of the pool. When we pulled the top off the filter, the pvc pipe and baffles came up.

Do you mean you took the top off the filter and then turned on the pool pump? if so... OUCH!

In any case, if the pipe and the laterals came up, you'll need to vacuum all of the sand out of the filter to be able to put the filter back together again. Use a good wet-dry shopvac, with a good filter to catch the silica dust. (Silica dust is very bad for your lungs. Shouldn't be a problem when the sand is wet, but wear a mask if the sand is dry.) You'll need a bin to dump the sand into, because your shopvac won't be large enough. (Wet sand is HEAVY, so have a buddy there to help.) Then you'll need to turn the pump on for a few more seconds to clear the sand out of the pipe leading to the filter.

Once you get the filter back together properly (search the web for instructions; hopefully you won't have to replace the laterals), fill the filter with water to several inches above the laterals before starting to put the sand back in. If you forget the water, the falling sand can damage the laterals.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.