TA 220 pH 7.9 New pool

I just installed my pool. I ordered a test kit yesterday but am trying to get started before I get it. The pool store took a sample of my water and gave me the above information. I declined the invitation to visit their store for a cure to the problem.

I've added bleach and the test strip shows an adequate level.

I've also purchased muratic acid to lower pH. According to the calculator, I need to add almost 2 quarts.

This is a silly question, but do I just dump it in? Will it damage the liner if it's too concentrated?

No, to be honest you want the concentrated stuff because it's more economical. But, it is strong stuff. Be careful.

I like to get in front of a return on my hands & knees and splash a little water on the pool deck. then open the acid bottle and partially submerge it in the water. Then tilt the bottle to pour the acid in at close to water level, but don't let the bottle get submerged. I don't measure because it's an additional step for me to spill the stuff. Also, you do not need to dilute. Guess a little low, then test again. You can always add more.

Pool School is a wonderful resource, so check it out. Here is what is says about lowering pH
To lower PH you can use either muriatic acid or dry acid. Muriatic acid is less expensive, though it can be annoying to handle. It is best to use muriatic acid if you have a SWG. If you don't have a SWG, and handling muriatic acid bothers you, you can use dry acid.

Muriatic acid is sold by most hardware stores and some paint stores. The big box hardware stores, like Home Depot and Lowes, almost always have it, but they seem to put it in different departments from store to store. Sometimes it is outside in the garden department, sometimes in pool supplies, and sometimes in the paint department.

Muriatic acid is available in various strengths. The most common strength is called either 20° baume or 31.45%. 10° baume or 15.725% is easier to handle but you need twice as much and it is usually more expensive.

You should always wear eye protection when handling muriatic acid. You do not want to breathe muriatic acid fumes. If you spill any on your clothes it will cause damage. Muriatic acid may sting a bit if you get it on your skin, but won't normally cause any serious harm as long as you rinse it off right away.

Muriatic acid should be added to the pool by pouring slowly in front of a return jet with the pump running. You should pour slowly enough that pouring an entire jug takes more than two minutes. Leave the pump running for at least 30 minutes after adding muriatic acid.

Hold off on any other additions other than keeping chlorine in the pool until you get your test kit. Heck, your pH can probably wait a few days also.

That's the best plan. Adding acid and diluting it first creates potential for handling mishaps. Just be very careful, flow the guidelines here and add it per those instructions. What is most important to remember, is never to pour in any significant amount in quickly. Very, very slowly in front of a good flowing return.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.