Pool filled with water from pond

Okay here goes. We had to replace our liner this year. We are on stage 5 water restrictions. No new pool filling. We have a pond on our property and my husband, decided to completely fill our pool with water from our pond. He pumped it in, pour a bunch of algaecide into the pool and handed it over to me. I found your site, bought a Tf-100 test kit, slammed it, added DE to the sand filter and it started clearing from dark brown to a lighter shade of brown. Last night he added clear water from a rain barrel and I woke up this morning and the water is the color of dark brown rust. Help!!!!

Welcome to TFP!! Great that you have your test kit already. If he turned it over to you, time for him to stay away:D

Did you ever add stabilizer/CYA?

We will also need a complete set of test results.

FC
CC
pH
CYA - (ignore if you never added any)
TA

Any idea what algecide he used?

I don't think you finished the SLAM. A SLAM is a continuous process until the pool is completely clear/clean, not a one or two time addition of chlorine.

You should read the directions on SLAMing your pool in the How To section of Pool School and follow that procedure completely to the end.

CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
And the water is clear.

When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.

well I guess a pool filled with pond water is better than an empty pool :)

probably no worse than some of the pools I have seen on here that started as black and turned to sparkling clear by using the SLAM process.

Good luck! post some pictures of day 1 so people can watch the progress.

If the algaecide you used contained copper you could be seeing metals in your water when it turned brown, this is one reason we are against the common use of algaecide, and if you must use algaecide to only use certain types. Unfortunately if it is metals there is no way to effectively remove them other than water replacement, they can however be treated with the ongoing use of sequesterants.

Ike

Congrats on filling your new uhmmmm... Pond! :mrgreen:

Follow the SLAM and you'll never know it was pond water.

Don't feel bad, we're not on water restriction and my neighbor does the same thing because he's cheap. He pumps it out of the lake into the pool and runs it over a bucket full of trichlor pucks on the way into the pool. I'm a new pool owner and when I saw him filling his greenish pool I knew I needed to get pool advice elsewhere!

Don't feel bad, we're not on water restriction and my neighbor does the same thing because he's cheap. He pumps it out of the lake into the pool and runs it over a bucket full of trichlor pucks on the way into the pool. I'm a new pool owner and when I saw him filling his greenish pool I knew I needed to get pool advice elsewhere!
He does that in Weston? Surprised the South Florida Water Management District hasn't paid him a visit.....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I doubt SFWMD would care, to be honest. Everyone is allowed to use lake/canal water to water lawns, what difference would it make to them if someone fills their pool with it.

Okay I dug the "super algaecide" out the plastics bin and it does have copper, 23.9 %. And yes I did rush the slam process. I was just super excited about finding TFP. It has been storming all day so I will start slam in AM weather permitting. I have gone back to pool school and will continue diligently until I graduate. My husband has been properly chastised and kicked out of pool school. Will post test results in AM prior to SLAM and pics as well. Thank you so much and I will follow your instructions to the letter

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.