Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool filled with water from pond

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool filled with water from pond

Okay here goes. We had to replace our liner this year. We are on stage 5 water restrictions. No new pool filling. We have a pond on our property and my husband, decided to completely fill our pool with water from our pond. He pumped it in, pour a bunch of algaecide into the pool and handed it over to me. I found your site, bought a Tf-100 test kit, slammed it, added DE to the sand filter and it started clearing from dark brown to a lighter shade of brown. Last night he added clear water from a rain barrel and I woke up this morning and the water is the color of dark brown rust. Help!!!!
    30 foot, 54 inch deep AG pool 1/2 HP Sta-rite pump
    Sta-Rite High rate sand filter, Stage 5 water restrictions No new pool
    filling

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool filled with water from pond

Welcome to TFP!! Great that you have your test kit already. If he turned it over to you, time for him to stay away

Did you ever add stabilizer/CYA?

We will also need a complete set of test results.

FC
    CC
    pH
    CYA - (ignore if you never added any)
    TA

Any idea what algecide he used?

I don't think you finished the SLAM. A SLAM is a continuous process until the pool is completely clear/clean, not a one or two time addition of chlorine.

You should read the directions on SLAMing your pool in the How To section of Pool School and follow that procedure completely to the end.

CC is 0.5 or lower;
    You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
    And the water is clear.

When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Follow what Tim said exactly and your pool will be crystal clear. As he said it is a process and you have to have patience. Rum filter 24/7 and backwash as needed.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

well I guess a pool filled with pond water is better than an empty pool

probably no worse than some of the pools I have seen on here that started as black and turned to sparkling clear by using the SLAM process.

Good luck! post some pictures of day 1 so people can watch the progress.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

5. Back To Top    #5

If the algaecide you used contained copper you could be seeing metals in your water when it turned brown, this is one reason we are against the common use of algaecide, and if you must use algaecide to only use certain types. Unfortunately if it is metals there is no way to effectively remove them other than water replacement, they can however be treated with the ongoing use of sequesterants.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Please post full test results from your TF-100. I filled my pool from a pond on two separate occasions.......need those test results to get started, though.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

I know what ponds around there look like a lot of the time. Red dirt color. Lake Arrowhead.

Post the results when you can, we'll be glad to help if we can.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

Congrats on filling your new uhmmmm... Pond!

Follow the SLAM and you'll never know it was pond water.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Don't feel bad, we're not on water restriction and my neighbor does the same thing because he's cheap. He pumps it out of the lake into the pool and runs it over a bucket full of trichlor pucks on the way into the pool. I'm a new pool owner and when I saw him filling his greenish pool I knew I needed to get pool advice elsewhere!
    11K gal IG screened-in plaster pool w/ spa
    pentair 150 cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump,
    Aquarite AQR15 SWG, AquaCal Heatwave Heat Pump, TF-100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by robdac View Post
    Don't feel bad, we're not on water restriction and my neighbor does the same thing because he's cheap. He pumps it out of the lake into the pool and runs it over a bucket full of trichlor pucks on the way into the pool. I'm a new pool owner and when I saw him filling his greenish pool I knew I needed to get pool advice elsewhere!
    He does that in Weston? Surprised the South Florida Water Management District hasn't paid him a visit.....
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

11. Back To Top    #11

I doubt SFWMD would care, to be honest. Everyone is allowed to use lake/canal water to water lawns, what difference would it make to them if someone fills their pool with it.
    15k in-ground plaster, Hayward C900 cartridge, 3/4hp single speed pump, Barracuda G2 cleaner, TF-100

12. Back To Top    #12

Okay I dug the "super algaecide" out the plastics bin and it does have copper, 23.9 %. And yes I did rush the slam process. I was just super excited about finding TFP. It has been storming all day so I will start slam in AM weather permitting. I have gone back to pool school and will continue diligently until I graduate. My husband has been properly chastised and kicked out of pool school. Will post test results in AM prior to SLAM and pics as well. Thank you so much and I will follow your instructions to the letter
    filling

13. Back To Top    #13

Don't let a little rain deter you.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

14. Back To Top    #14

Lake Arrowhead has almost no water in it at this time red or otherwise. Boo hoo

- - - Updated - - -

Actually it was the lightning and a small tornado. Just kidding
    filling

15. Back To Top    #15

Hey, good deal, and no worries, you can SLAM. As long as you're learning there will be someone here to help.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem