Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dollar store bleach. No ingredients listed?

1. Back To Top    #1

Dollar store bleach. No ingredients listed?

My wife got some bleach from the dollar store yesterday. It has no scent to it and is 96 oz for $1 each. Great deal right? However, there is no ingredients list with the percentages like every other manufacturer. Anyone know what those numbers could be? The only thing it says is contains sodium hypochlorite. It must be low as I added 96 oz to my pool last night and it literally did nothing. I'm thinking the percentage of SH is very low...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dollar store bleach. No ingredients listed?

Here is a thread that is about what you purchased or something similar. If you cannot smell it, I would go with 3% or less. Also, if it has been sitting around, it is probably even less.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...Awesome-Bleach
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

3. Back To Top    #3

lol thats the stuff. Thanks! I never would have found that thread.

4. Back To Top    #4

Oh, you're welcome. Dollar Tree is good if it is all you've got but Walmart is probably your best bet.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

5. Back To Top    #5

Normally if the percentage is not listed it's 3% or less.

I use Dollar General bleach and it's listed as 8.25%. I notice lately that Wally World bleach is a penny cheaper and is also listed at 8.25%.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, I used that stuff for a few days too until I did a test and discovered that it only raised the FC 1 point (should be no big surprise). The $3 HEB brand, Bravo, raised it 5 (agrees with the poolmath calc). Going by the poolmath calc, the $1 bleach is 2.25% strength. Not worth the "savings".
    Anthony Sylvan 17k gal free form IG Gunite. 3' - 6'. Waterway SVL56 Pump. Pentair FNSP 48 (sq ') DE Filter (2013). Polaris 280 sweep w/Polaris PB4 booster. 2 skimmer intakes and 2 deep-end intakes. 4 returns. Pool Installed 2010. Filled from city water (Austin, TX - CH 50ppm. pH 9.0). Taylor k-2006 test kit. Currently running the pump 6 hrs / day.