Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy water. Everything seems OK...

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy water. Everything seems OK...

Hey guys I am coming from a swampy green pool to blue. My only issue is that I can't get the cloudiness to go away! There is about a foot and a half of clarity. I changed the sand in my Hayward filter, the pool is an intex 22 ft. vinyl, and I'm using a Taylor's DPD test kit. I live in Raleigh NC. The pool never gets shade.

FC 0
    Cc 0
    Ph 7.6
    CYA 0 (lost it all due to back washes. Was 30)
    TA 90
    Calcium Hardness 60

I'm adding bleach now and I knew that was an issue obviously. Keeping that up has been a beast already. However, the rest has me stumped. I've been working on this now for a little over a month with little results. Hopefully I have given substantial info. If not I can provide it. Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Cloudy water. Everything seems OK...

In addition to adding bleach using the pool math also bring your CYA up.

- - - Updated - - -

I would aim for 50 on CYA for now

- - - Updated - - -

Leave your sand filter running 24/7 will also help clear water. There is a link to my SLAM in my signature with pictures. You may need to Slam. If you do then bring PH down to 7.2
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Your FC=0, the fact that you can't keep chlorine in the water and the cloudy state make me you have a low level algae bloom still in the water. But, you could be loosing all your chlorine because you have 0 CYA. Use Pool Math to get your CYA up to around 40 and read the directions on SLAMing your pool in the How To section of Pool School and follow that procedure completely to the end.

CC is 0.5 or lower;
    You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
    And the water is clear.

When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal level

And, if you really have just a DPD test kit you need to upgrade to the FAS/DPD test.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds good and thank you guys for the replies. Ive been racking my brain and I figured it was most likely those factors. Sometimes it helps to hear it from someone else as a reassurance. I will take that advice and put it to good use. The main reason I was worried is because the transition from swamp green to blue was nothing, and a very quick process at that. The majority of the time has been used just testing and trying to clear it up.

5. Back To Top    #5

What you describe is very normal. It's why we are so adamant about the SLAM process. It's very thorough, and makes sure the job is completed.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem