Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is it possible to fix a leak in the return jet without draining?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is it possible to fix a leak in the return jet without draining?

I just got our pool cleaned up from the winter, 2 weeks and lots of work....our pump stopped working near the end of the season last year. We no longer cover it because it is so difficult with the fencing around it and we get high winds frequently so it ends up tearing anyway. I just noticed a small leak in the return jet, a slow drip, not steady. I don't see any cracks, although the gasket could use replacing. It looks like the leak is coming from where it is threaded. Is it possible to repair it without draining it below the return? Thanks for any help you can offer!
    24' Round 52" High AG, Waterway 125 SF Pro Clean 2HP, 2 SPD Cartridge Filter
    Pool Rover Jr. /TF-100 Test Kit/ BBB - Ex Baqua User

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is it possible to fix a leak in the return jet without draining?

I just took EVERYTHING apart on my pump and fittings last night on my pump, lubed all the O rings and the gaskets, thread tape on everything... I am thinking I will need to do the same thing to my return valve fittings.
    24 ft Sharkline Matrix AG
    Waterway 1HP 2SPD Sand Filter 100lb sand capacity, using 50lb of ZeoSand
    TAYLOR K-2006 test kit.
    Installed Spring 2013
    16x16 Deck Going up Soon.

3. Back To Top    #3

I was confused when I read this as I thought I had already answered with an idea. Turns out it is a different thread:

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    There is a trick you could try, although might be tricky. You could put a new gasket in a large bowl, then hold the bowl over the jet on in the inside of the pool. Then remove the jet from the outside so you only lose the water in the bowl. Then you have to try to work the new gasket on and get the fitting back through the hole.

Likely a little easier said than done, but I know I have read of a few cases where something like this was done.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...l=1#post791819
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you!

5. Back To Top    #5

That is how I added my hard plumbed returns without draining my pool. Works a treat, but is best with two people.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_R View Post
    That is how I added my hard plumbed returns without draining my pool. Works a treat, but is best with two people.
    I'll probably have to wait for the water to warm up a bit more so either my husband or I can get in the pool to hold the bowl. We have fencing around the top of the pool so it would probably be near impossible to do it any other way. Glad to hear it works!