Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Considering draining / replacing water

1. Back To Top    #1

Considering draining / replacing water

Hey all,

Last year I had to deal with the most obnoxious and worse, expensive metal problem I have had to deal with in over a dozen years. It looks like this year will be no different.

So since I have a few weeks before the swim season is here in NY, I am really considering replacing the water. But Ive never done this before. So I have a few questions:

- Liner pool - How much water is safe to drain at a time? Can I go a few feet below the skimmer? And lets say I do that, would 4 or 5 times doing that basically equal replacing all the water in the pool?

- Do I need to make sure the metals are sequestered well before draining? I have to assume any metal staining on the liner, stairs, etc that I do not have floating free in the water will just be there when I refill.

- My main drain has been disconnected for probably a decade. So the only way to drain is by pump, correct?

Thanks so much in advance. I just dont want to be dumping sequestering chemicals in the pool every 3 days like I had to last year. We have parties all summer long and when the kids are done swimming, I like bringing the FC high up... Which eats my sequester which gets even more expensive... Its just not something I want to do anymore. Its a losing battle
    18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Considering draining / replacing water

Yes, you will need to pump it out. We generally recommend 30% replacement or leave about a 1' in the shallow end.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. Do I keep metals sequestered while doing this?
    18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't have any experience with metals or sequestrants.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by mitch08 View Post
    Thanks. Do I keep metals sequestered while doing this?
    Yes, you want them to go with the water not sty around with the liner. I'm very conservative when pumping out water, but that is because I have a very high water table
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

Have you tested your fill water for metals?