Test Results

May 23, 2013
Lacombe, LA
Alright gang, took my water to the pool store yesterday, and here are the results!!!

You are not the father! Wait...that's not right!

20150505_152944.jpg

My sand filter is running right above 5 PSI. Not that I'm doubting what she's saying, but a second opinion is welcomed. The nice lady recommended:

-pH Increaser (2 pounds)
-Alkaline Up (Increaser - 5 pounds)
-Shock (1 pound) ***I previously shocked the pool***

It is low on salt, so I know I must add some. Some other backstory: It was greenish before I started treating it, which is my fault for not properly winterizing it. It was, gross.

I shocked it, and it killed a ton of algae and such. After installing a new sand filter, and running it, my water is cloudy, but it looks like much better now.

While they almost NEVER are, let's assume the Pool Store tests are correct.

1. You have NO chlorine in your pool and another algae bloom is headed your way very soon.

2. Your pH is DANGEROUSLY low. It should be increased to 7.4 or so with 20 Mule team Borax.....your TA will come up as well.....retest it.

3. Your CYA is apparently zero so you will never be able to keep chlorine in the pool.

4. Was it tested for salt? You have NO salt but yet and SWG, is that correct?

While they almost NEVER are, let's assume the Pool Store tests are correct.

1. You have NO chlorine in your pool and another algae bloom is headed your way very soon.

2. Your pH is DANGEROUSLY low. It should be increased to 7.4 or so with 20 Mule team Borax.....your TA will come up as well.....retest it.

3. Your CYA is apparently zero so you will never be able to keep chlorine in the pool.

4. Was it tested for salt? You have NO salt but yet and SWG, is that correct?

Yeah, I don't do chlorine. I do salt. I guess by testing it this way, it is rather faulty?

Yeah, I don't do chlorine. I do salt. I guess by testing it this way, it is rather faulty?
Salt is chlorine. The Salt Water Generator (SWG) turns the salt into chlorine. If your SWG is running and you have "0" FC then either your SWG is broken or you have something in the water consuming it. In either case Like Dave said you should add some before algae rears its ugly head.

If you have read around here much you have probably seen that not much credence is given to pool store testing. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing.

You really need one of the recommended test kits. You can buy a kit at a pool store, but again the pool store kits generally won't cut it. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All these kits contain that test while very few other kits do. Think of it this way, do you see a doctor blindly prescribing drugs without seeing the patient or having tests run?

Where are my manners - Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

Well, this certainly helps. This is why I put this out here. My SWG hasn't been running much, because well it's telling me to add salt. Imagine that, right?

I'll look at the test kit, that's obviously a necessity. I really appreciate the feedback guys!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.