Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Yard Hydrant Maintenance?

1. Back To Top    #1

Yard Hydrant Maintenance?

Hi,

I had a yard hydrant installed at the equipment pad when the pool was built.
    I'm very happy that I did.

We are starting our third summer with the pool.

I was wondering, what (if any) maintenance I should do on this hydrant?
    I blow out the line for the winter and add some antifreeze...but that is it.
    Should I be adding any lubrication?

YardHydrant.jpg

No sure what kind it is. There are no markings on the faucet itself.

Thanks for you help.
    2013 HotSpring Grandee with Ace Sanitizing System
    25K IG vinyl pool with Alps spillover spa and waterfall. Build Date: June 2013
    Triton II TR100 Sand Filter, Pentair Master Temp 400 natural gas pool heater, Intellichlor SWG, Rainbow Chlorine Feeder
    Pentair VF filter pump, WhisperFlo 2 hp WFE-8 waterfall pump, WhisperFloFX 2 hp spillover spa pump
    Intellibrite 5G (2 pool and 1 in spa) lights :: TFT-100 test kit, Taylor K-1776 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Yard Hydrant Maintenance?

Actually if that was installed properly there is no need to blow it out/winterize. It is designed so that the valve is below the frost line and when you turn it off the water in the up pipe drains back out into the ground.

I have several of them both here in SC and in the mountains of NC and have never done anything to any of them.

When you get a moment, please add your location to your profile. To change your profile select "Settings" (top right under Pool School button). Scroll down (left side) to "My Settings" & select Edit Profile.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

If you add antifreeze to it, that's all the lubrication it'll ever need.

As Tim said, there's really nothing maintenance wise that needs to be done, but the antifreeze helps lubricate the seals.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Judging solely by the color, it is made in China and came from Northern Tool.... They are meant to be maintenance free.....

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by ewkearns View Post
    Judging solely by the color, it is made in China and came from Northern Tool.... They are meant to be maintenance free.....
    They are very similar. I had these guys: http://www.haldemanmechanical.com/ install the hydrant. They just ran well pipe out to the hyrdrant. They charged a lot of money for the time/materials that were required. I remember the stalk was quite long, so it is probably below the frost line. I did have them plumb it so that I can turn a valve and drain it into the sump pump.

Thanks for the info.
    2013 HotSpring Grandee with Ace Sanitizing System
    25K IG vinyl pool with Alps spillover spa and waterfall. Build Date: June 2013
    Triton II TR100 Sand Filter, Pentair Master Temp 400 natural gas pool heater, Intellichlor SWG, Rainbow Chlorine Feeder
    Pentair VF filter pump, WhisperFlo 2 hp WFE-8 waterfall pump, WhisperFloFX 2 hp spillover spa pump
    Intellibrite 5G (2 pool and 1 in spa) lights :: TFT-100 test kit, Taylor K-1776 test kit