Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Good laugh!

1. Back To Top    #1

Good laugh!

Purging old pool store notes and found a few things:
    Sand filter, routine clean 1x/year, replace sand every 2 years
    Run pump 24/7, minimum 10-12 hours during the day
    Remove debris, brush every 2 weeks, vacuum once per week
    Testing pool chems 1 time per week at home, bring sample into store 1 time per month
    Liquid Chlorine is unstable and looses its strength quickly
    Low calcium will wrinkle a vinyl liner
    Low calcium causes pH to bounce around and makes the water "aggressive" and causes equipment damage
    High calcium requires partial water drain
    Shock once per week

This is just some of it, not including all the info for each chemical they tell you to buy in order to keep your pool balanced.
    One year my water went cloudy after putting in shock (which in retrospect it was an algae bloom) and the store chem results showed the calcium was high and we were told we needed to do a partial drain of the pool - From the guy who swore he would never own a pool.

New pool owners hear such things - I was clueless once - and jump in "hook, line and sinker" thinking those guys MUST know what they're talking about since they work with pools all day. (Most just STAND around the pools all day)

Hard to get all that out of your head and follow TFP but you will be much happier with a sparkly pool and more money in your wallet - or in your party planning.

Hope you all have a great TFP pool day.
    16 x 28 Doughboy Mystic Garden AGP with 7' deep end (used expandable vinyl liner) ~11,800 gals. Deep end main drain. Thru-the-wall skimmer, one return at deep end. Media Master 150# sand filter. Doughboy PowerPak II pump, 1 hp. Pentair MinimaxCH 150m natural gas heater. Polaris 65 when it feels like working . TF-100 test kit. No longer 'pool stored' 5 years and counting. In sunny but fickle metro-Detroit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Good laugh!

I'm always amused with the fact that many of them never owned a pool of any kind.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

.........."They said so at the pool store. They're professionals ya' know. It MUST be true".
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Seems like I can always count on you guys for entertaining reading and thought I would return the favor.
    16 x 28 Doughboy Mystic Garden AGP with 7' deep end (used expandable vinyl liner) ~11,800 gals. Deep end main drain. Thru-the-wall skimmer, one return at deep end. Media Master 150# sand filter. Doughboy PowerPak II pump, 1 hp. Pentair MinimaxCH 150m natural gas heater. Polaris 65 when it feels like working . TF-100 test kit. No longer 'pool stored' 5 years and counting. In sunny but fickle metro-Detroit.