ORP please explain

Jun 25, 2010
Hi all,

I have been reading threads and posts on here in my search for a semi automated pool monitoring system.

I have come a cross a lot of talk about ORP, I know what the abbreviation is but what is it exactly? As-in what does ORP represent and why would I need to monitor this in my set up?

Thanks...

Eric

In theory, ORP proxies killing power of the sanitizer.

However, in the real world, there are several things that affect ORP that have nothing to do with the amount of sanitizer in the water, most notably CYA. CYA at the recommended levels affect the ORP reading and not always in a stable fashion.

pH can usually be maintained, but you're better off just running the SWCG at a set percentage and time than trying to control it with ORP.

I wouldn't recommend either ORP or pH automation, but if you have to have one I'd pick pH only. Running the SWCG on time and percentage is about as easy and foolproof as you can get.

Pools, as a rule don't require very complicated control. Even with the most advanced automation system you still have to test the water to make sure it's operating correctly and if you're going to do that it only takes a few more seconds to adjust the time or % that the swcg is running to correct the FC, and if a little acid is required, it only takes a little bit to pour some in.

very true, they don't require very complicated controls. I was just looking at more of a monitoring solution as opposed to automated solution. with that being said the only thing I would have automated (in the future) would be the adding of chlorine. the others would just be to monitor the value and adjust as needed.

with that I know that there is a probe to register PH balance, and temperature, and even pressure of the system; but is there a probe to measure chlorine levels to use in automation?

oh and another question this one about pump run times:

I understand the basic reasoning of running the pump just a few times per day, or rather for given amounts of time, at different intervals through out the day, being the electricity bill. but other than that is there any real reason to not run the pump continuously?

I have had my pool for about 6-7 years now and have been using the BBB method since about 2011, and run our pump continuously. Now our pump has a two speed motor, and when we are in it (mostly the kids when it gets really stirred up) it is on high, but when not in use it's on low. We keep it running mostly due to the foliage that we have in our yard. In the spring early summer there is so much pollen my white van turns yellow and the wife's blue car turns green; if we were to not run our pool constantly I feel that the pollen would be so thick that it would make the wall and floor of the pool slimy.

just curious if there is other beneficial reasons to run it periodically.

You need freshly chlorinated water everywhere, so you want to accomplish that. Then, it's running it long enough to keep the pool skimmed and filtered to your acceptance level. That's pretty much it.

There are sensors that measure ppm of free chlorine, but they are pretty expensive. The Chemtrol 265 controller and probe is about $3,000.00, so it's not in a lot of peoples pool budget.

The major reason to limit pump run time is power savings. If the power usage isn't a concern to you then there's nothing wrong with running it 24/7. It affects the life of the pump a little, but not greatly.

There are sensors that measure ppm of free chlorine, but they are pretty expensive. The Chemtrol 265 controller and probe is about $3,000.00, so it's not in a lot of peoples pool budget.

The major reason to limit pump run time is power savings. If the power usage isn't a concern to you then there's nothing wrong with running it 24/7. It affects the life of the pump a little, but not greatly.

Thanks again Bama. With the amount and variety of different trees in our yard I think we shall keep it running 24/7 then.

Again thanks for all your input. And thanks for others that chimed in as well

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.