Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Recommended pool pad size 4x5?

1. Back To Top    #1

Recommended pool pad size 4x5?

What would be the ideal size for a pool pad - would 3x4 do or would 4x5 work better?. I don't expect ever putting in a heater, so it would just be the pump & filter.
    I planned on piping the 2" PVC (3 returns, 1 drain & 2 skimmers) just in front of the pad using 4 Jandy valves. But don't want to run out of space front to back with the pump size & plumbing fixtures.
    In-ground block / vinyl liner 33' x 22' x 5',, approx 25k gals
    Cartridge Filter
    Floor drains, 2 skimmers, 3 return lines (2" plumbing ultra-flex PVC)

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Recommended pool pad size 4x5?

I am not sure but I went 5x10, here is the start to my build.. Hope this helps

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-18x33-install
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

A 3x4 would probably work, but a 4x5 or 4x6 would give you plenty of room when you decide to add something in the future. (Notice I didn't say IF).

I'd recommend at least a 4'x6' pad.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

+1 on what bama said. For example, not many do it, but if you had room to add a utility sink with just cold water it is incredibly convenient.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

First rule, you will always wish for more.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

I did 4x6!

Is your pool
    Build on here, sounds cool.

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, 4x6 I think I 'll go with bigger, a few extra bags of concrete won't hurt my budget.

I am taking pictures, and will eventually post up something. I did concrete block, walls are up, I am ready to do the plumbing and vermiculite floor. I plan to have the pros install the liner, they want like $3000 just to install. My pool is approximate 32x22x5, that seems high to me.
    Cartridge Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by dw9000 View Post
    Ok, 4x6 I think I 'll go with bigger, a few extra bags of concrete won't hurt my budget.

I am taking pictures, and will eventually post up something. I did concrete block, walls are up, I am ready to do the plumbing and vermiculite floor. I plan to have the pros install the liner, they want like $3000 just to install. My pool is approximate 32x22x5, that seems high to me.
    Excited to see it, and I wish I could do it myself, you are going to save quite a few dollars this way, and you will know its done right. That sounds a little high from the few people I've seen on here doing it themselves. Did you try searching?
    New Build started April 2015, 20x30x40 Lagoon Style Vinyl (indigo marble/blue granite), 27,500 GAL, IG, 839 square feet, 9' tanning ledge/baja shelf, 9' radial bench, 8' classic Waterfall, 3'6" to 8'Depth, Sand, Pentair 2 speed Superflow 1 1/2 HP, SWS, 2 Pentair LED Intelibright 5 G lights, Pentair Legend Platinum II pool cleaner, 2 skimmers, 3 returns. 1080 square feet of Silver Slate stamped concrete.

9. Back To Top    #9

I did 3'x6'. I have space for a heater if I decide to add one later. Now I just have a bin sitting there with pool junk in it.
    ~Matt~ Radiant Metric 24'x52" 14k- built into a slope. CircuPool Si-30 SWCG. Jandy 200 SqFt cartridge filter. Pentair Optiflow 2-speed 1HP pump. Wanda the Whale. TF-100 Test Kit. Hard Plumbed.
    My Build w/ lots of pics

10. Back To Top    #10

I stole a couple ideas from you, thanks. What sort of power box did you mount? Right up under that top 2x8? Did you use conduit? What size wire 8/3? 6/3?

THanks,
    Cartridge Filter

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

I believe you were asking me? The electrition is bringing my box on monday, he said it will be about 14x12.. I am running power about 150 feet (40 feet underground) and will have 60 amps of breakers so he is running 6/4 single wire ( I think thats what he said . the underground portion I will be putting in 2 inch pipe..

The breaker box, 600 watt low voltage converter, Intermatic PE653RC Wireless Control System, and the CircuPool SJ45 Salt System will all be installed on the back side of the stand under the 2x10, that side is north facing and the sun will never hit any of the power boxes and also most of the bad weather comes out of the southwest so it will protect it also..
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    I believe you were asking me? The electrition is bringing my box on monday, he said it will be about 14x12.. I am running power about 150 feet (40 feet underground) and will have 60 amps of breakers so he is running 6/4 single wire ( I think thats what he said . the underground portion I will be putting in 2 inch pipe..

The breaker box, 600 watt low voltage converter, Intermatic PE653RC Wireless Control System, and the CircuPool SJ45 Salt System will all be installed on the back side of the stand under the 2x10, that side is north facing and the sun will never hit any of the power boxes and also most of the bad weather comes out of the southwest so it will protect it also..
    Thanks for the information.
    Cartridge Filter

13. Back To Top    #13

You could always make an adaptable pad (i.e. non-poured) out of large pavers so that it is easy to get to the piping and to add more space without have to break through concrete.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater