Bleach

You will get to a point where you'll know based off of your pool and your cya level. Then it seems like cruise control. We need some test results from a Taylor to get started.

Many thanks for all the replies.

I'll have to spend some time reading up, you have a lot of info here.

i am using roughly 250ml every other night, but it gets cloudy after 3-4 days & i dump/refill.

i have never tested but i do have a pH pen somewhere... and maybe some chlorine strips.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome to TFP! Everyone has pretty much covered everything to get you started. You really need to get a Taylor K2006 test kit to test. Strips are jus not reliable. There is also the TF 100 test kit, but since you are in Thailand I am not sure you would be able to aquire it unless you know someone in the U.S. That could ship it to you.

If it's getting cloudy that could also be a sign the water isn't really something you want to be swimming in. Not concerned with algae but with bacteria.
How often do you need to dump the water ??
The reason to test more often is to know the amount of chlorine in your water so you know there is enough to kill bacteria. Even more important if you have younger children or anyone with poor health.

cheers!

its just me & my 4 yr old. we're in the pool most days & i bleach every other night, but worry about bacteria so dump & scrub every 3-5 days (any longer & i start to see algae forming in the creases/folds)

we have full sun for 7 hrs a day, and the ambient temp never goes lower than 25C/77F (day temp is 30-36C+/86-98F+)

E2A - the pool came with a pump but it was pretty pointless, now im looking at an Emaux Ultra 0.12HP pump+filter combo but not sure if its going to cause me more work rather than less.

Just my opinion but I think it might be easier on you and safer for both of you if you tested the water often and kept the chlorine up at a proper level. You wouldn't need to keep dumping and refilling and the water would be clean and more importantly safe. You'd need to have the pump and filter running.

If you can get reliable test results, you can then plug them into the calculator on the Pool Math tab up top and it will tell you how much bleach to use. I've been reading here a couple years but am finally cutting the pool store cord with this new pool, and I've found that pool math calculator very helpful this weekend!

Welcome to the forum Basil!

My summer pool last year was exact same size as yours, it's a wide shallow pool so the CL loss is high at about 4-5 ppm per day when the weather is 30C

Using the cheap 1.5% tesco value bleach we get here in the UK that's about 1.2 - 1.5 liters every day for this pool which is a lot more than you have been using although your bleach may be stronger so you would need less. As others have said poolmath is your friend....!

Taylor kits are difficult to find outside the US, for a small Intex pool I get by with a DPD tablet kit and even an OTO kit will be fine, all of my test kits came from ebay. But you do need to test daily and make sure your CL does not drop too low

I got fed up with cleaning cartridges daily so I got an Emaux 14" filter with 0.3HP pump, goes for several weeks without any attention at all. Biggest hassle for you will be setting up & connecting the filter to the pool but once it's done it looks after itself.

thanks again - my tesco(lotus) bleach is 6%.

i also have quite a lot of petals dropping in which green up pretty quick.

im finding it hard to justify an expensive pump for a cheap pool. (plus local supplier requires 45 days for shipping...)

i'll keep at it.

e2a - if anyone can locate 10127 strainer plugs i would be grateful - my puppies chewed the others up and im now using home made silicon plugs which may not help with the cloudiness?

the only sources ive found flat out refuse to ship to me here in Bkk.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.