Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump is making a humming noise??

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump is making a humming noise??

I installed a new multiport valve and new pvc today, and changed out my sand (it was awful even after trying a deep clean). When I got the pool filled up enough, I turned it to backwash and turned pump on and it backwashed just fine. Then I switched it to rinse, turned the pump on and got a humming noise and no suction. I did this about 5 times, and still no pump power, just humming. I turned the multiport to filter, and tried to power the pump again, and still humming. Any suggestions? I got the pool fever and can't get it going!!
    24' x 52" AG / Hayward Sand Filter
    Hayward Power-Flo 2 Speed Pump
    TF100 test kit / Pool Rover Hybrid Robot
    St. Louis, MO *GO CARDINALS*

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump is making a humming noise??

It sounds like there could be a valve closed between the pool and the pump.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Believe I would make sure the multi-port valve is installed and functioning correctly. Is the pump strainer full of water when you try to rinse or filter and are there any other valves between the filter and pool? If you can backwash but not rinse or filter it sounds like the multi-port valve is broken and won't change positions or is partly plugged.
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Sounds like a bad start capacitor. As pooldv stated could be a closed valve and the system still has pressure on it too. I would suspect a bad start cap though
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

5. Back To Top    #5

I have made sure all valves are open, and it still doesn't work. I checked for impeller obstruction and it moves both ways, so I unhooked the pump and plugged up real quick and it still hummed and made the same noise, so I unplugged and tried to take the back end off to get access to the capacitor etc and the bolts are so rusted I cant get any off! I don't know much about motors so I think I might just save time and go buy a new pump today. Any suggestions? What about one with two speeds? I added my pump info to my signature.

6. Back To Top    #6

Which Pump??

The one I currently have is the Hayward PowerFlo LX 1.5hp, and I could replace with the same thing. Or I was thinking maybe a two speed, and the one Im looking at is the Hayward PowerFlo Matrix 2 speed 1.5hp. I need help! If I order today soon I will have it tomorrow, so I need to make a decision. What are the pros of a two speed? How do you switch speeds? Thank you guys!

Also...how do you switch speeds on the two speed one? My current one just plugs in to the outlet...

7. Back To Top    #7

Re: Which Pump??

Hi JenMichelle I did the same thing just this year...the 1 hp 2 speed matrix has a switch at the back of the pump...it is a three positions switch. On high, on low, and off....the pump runs very quiet when compared to my old Hayward 1.5 hp power flo lx...
    The new pumps performance :
    on low speed with my two inch PVC set up it pumps about 20 gal per minute...on high it,pumps about 50 gals per minute...of course your set up will be different....I am pleased with its performance so far. I have a flo vis flow meter installed as well.
    Aqua leisure 27 foot AG pool..
    1hp Hayward matrix 2 speed pump..
    Hayward Aquatrol SWG
    Hayward 325 cf swim clear cartridge filter
    Hayward 150k btu gas heater

8. Back To Top    #8

It wouldn't be a capacitor if it pumps water in backwash mode. Something is blocking flow in the filter or after.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

What is wrong with your existing pump? It should be cheaper to just replace the motor on your existing wet end with a 2-speed version. But there is nothing wrong with getting a new 2-speed pump. You likely only need the 1HP version to save a little bit of money.

Just run on low most of the time and switch to high when you are vacuuming or backwashing.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    It wouldn't be a capacitor if it pumps water in backwash mode. Something is blocking flow in the filter or after.
    Gotcha, I did not see where it will only run in back wash and not in any other mode. My bad.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    What is wrong with your existing pump? It should be cheaper to just replace the motor on your existing wet end with a 2-speed version. But there is nothing wrong with getting a new 2-speed pump. You likely only need the 1HP version to save a little bit of money.

Just run on low most of the time and switch to high when you are vacuuming or backwashing.
    This other thread she has is what is going wrong. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-humming-noise

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by danpik View Post
    This other thread she has is what is going wrong. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-humming-noise
    Sigh ... and this is why your should keep related questions together. I have now merged them.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

Sorry, I just thought since I had decided to replace the pump it was a different "topic", and should have a new thread heading. Thought I was doing the right thing. So much forum etiquette to learn....

- - - Updated - - -

It will not run in any mode now, including backwash mode. I took the pump in and was told it was toast, so I decided to follow advice and get the 2 speed. The other one was pretty old looking and I'm guessing the original with the pool install 10 years ago. Anywho...I would rather start new anyway! Thank you all for your help Pump won't be here until Friday so I will tackle that then. In the meantime, I see leaking on the outside of the pool around the skimmer box so I guess I will search the forum on how to replace that

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by JenMichelle View Post
    It will not run in any mode now, including backwash mode.
    I will go back to my original comment on a bad capacitor then. About $20.00 for a new one. Might be worth it to have a backup pump handy if you can get the old one apart.

Quote Originally Posted by JenMichelle View Post
    I took the pump in and was told it was toast, so I decided to follow advice and get the 2 speed.
    Well the pool store said it was because they wanted to sell you a new unit. You will like having the 2 speed anyway so if the budget allows for it.....