New Pool Owner - Need suggestion!

May 5, 2015
Belmont, MI
I have an 18' round Sharkline Matrix pool coming this weekend. I was planning to install myself the following weekend and then hire someone to do the deck. I have recently mentioned my plans to my in-laws and work colleagues and they are scaring the heck out of me. Everyone of them has said to hire someone to install the pool and try to do the deck instead. Is the pool install that tricky??? I bought the Matrix because it is supposed to be easy to put together and I am using an Intex SWG. How many people would I need to install? I'm somewhat handy, but the reactions have me second guessing my decision. Any thoughts on hiring vs DIY?

I'm a newbie, so I'm sure I will have several more questions coming up...:p

Hi,
the hard part is leveling the ground and ensuring that is stable enough to support a pool full of water.
The Pool has to be LEVEL, so that means all of the legs have to be at the same height and supported securely.

there are lots of folks here who have done their own and there are several methodologies used to get the leg supports on the same level plane. They range from a long 2 x 4 with a level on top of it, to a water level to a laser level.

this video gives a fairly good representation of what prepping the site entails.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC-FgqVvrWo

Putting it together is the no brainer part. You only get to level it and have the ground properly leveled and compacted ONCE or it's a nightmare. Miine is buried 2 feet and I had it dug by a guy with the proper equipment. Laser level all the way on a DIY.
Good luck.

As they all say it is not difficult to put together an AGP. And it really isn't difficult to prep the ground. It is just a lot of hard work, it takes a lot longer than you think. But, if you can work a shovel and a level then you can definitely do it. Just don't stop when you are tired and say that's good enough, i quit! Because when you do that and fill your pool the waterline will probably not be level. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.