Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Owner - Need suggestion!

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Owner - Need suggestion!

I have an 18' round Sharkline Matrix pool coming this weekend. I was planning to install myself the following weekend and then hire someone to do the deck. I have recently mentioned my plans to my in-laws and work colleagues and they are scaring the heck out of me. Everyone of them has said to hire someone to install the pool and try to do the deck instead. Is the pool install that tricky??? I bought the Matrix because it is supposed to be easy to put together and I am using an Intex SWG. How many people would I need to install? I'm somewhat handy, but the reactions have me second guessing my decision. Any thoughts on hiring vs DIY?

I'm a newbie, so I'm sure I will have several more questions coming up...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Owner - Need suggestion!

Hi,
    the hard part is leveling the ground and ensuring that is stable enough to support a pool full of water.
    The Pool has to be LEVEL, so that means all of the legs have to be at the same height and supported securely.

there are lots of folks here who have done their own and there are several methodologies used to get the leg supports on the same level plane. They range from a long 2 x 4 with a level on top of it, to a water level to a laser level.

this video gives a fairly good representation of what prepping the site entails.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC-FgqVvrWo
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Putting it together is the no brainer part. You only get to level it and have the ground properly leveled and compacted ONCE or it's a nightmare. Miine is buried 2 feet and I had it dug by a guy with the proper equipment. Laser level all the way on a DIY.
    Good luck.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

As they all say it is not difficult to put together an AGP. And it really isn't difficult to prep the ground. It is just a lot of hard work, it takes a lot longer than you think. But, if you can work a shovel and a level then you can definitely do it. Just don't stop when you are tired and say that's good enough, i quit! Because when you do that and fill your pool the waterline will probably not be level.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks everybody - pool is up! Leveling was hard work, but the rest was easy.

6. Back To Top    #6

Congrats on the new pool!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach