Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Weird question - deep end walls..

1. Back To Top    #1

Weird question - deep end walls..

Obviously I should have thought of this question before I started my build. But why do concrete or gunite deep end walls go straight down and vinyl walls are sloped inwards losing square footage?
    New Build started April 2015, 20x30x40 Lagoon Style Vinyl (indigo marble/blue granite), 27,500 GAL, IG, 839 square feet, 9' tanning ledge/baja shelf, 9' radial bench, 8' classic Waterfall, 3'6" to 8'Depth, Sand, Pentair 2 speed Superflow 1 1/2 HP, SWS, 2 Pentair LED Intelibright 5 G lights, Pentair Legend Platinum II pool cleaner, 2 skimmers, 3 returns. 1080 square feet of Silver Slate stamped concrete.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Weird question - deep end walls..

Hard to make a good tight corner with vinyl I reckon.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Gunite has the structural integrity to be vertical. The slopes of vinyl liner pools are just dirt covered with a thin layer of vermiculite mix.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Gunite has the structural integrity to be vertical. The slopes of vinyl liner pools are just dirt covered with a thin layer of vermiculite mix.
    Kind of what I was thinking, had never thought of it until now and looking at my pool, I wish it was something I considered in choosing vinyl or gunite.
    New Build started April 2015, 20x30x40 Lagoon Style Vinyl (indigo marble/blue granite), 27,500 GAL, IG, 839 square feet, 9' tanning ledge/baja shelf, 9' radial bench, 8' classic Waterfall, 3'6" to 8'Depth, Sand, Pentair 2 speed Superflow 1 1/2 HP, SWS, 2 Pentair LED Intelibright 5 G lights, Pentair Legend Platinum II pool cleaner, 2 skimmers, 3 returns. 1080 square feet of Silver Slate stamped concrete.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Well the plus side of vinyl is the pool looks nice and big but it's less water you have to treat

I know with mine it did surprise me when I first swept it how the sides go down a bit and then angle to the bottom. That and how the steps flex under your foot getting in an out.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ?° too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

True! Less water is a positive but hoping not to hit my head diving too lol

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by karynkjd View Post
    True! Less water is a positive but hoping not to hit my head diving too lol
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You pool is slightly larger than mine, it's probably Type 3 (water invelope, see http://www.srsmith.com/media/47241/0...i-standard.pdf), so you will be fine with diving. Also sloped walls give extra fun element for kids or adults just to hang out on the deep end.
    Lagoon shape, 23,600 Gal, steel walls by International Swimming Pools, "ultra-seam" liner by Latham, Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo 3HP Variable Speed Pump, PentAir CCP420 filter, Heat Siphon Z575HP, PentAir IC40 SWG, 2 LED Lights (Pentair Intellibrite 5G, 110V). 4 x 1.5’’return lines, 2 x 2’’skimmer lines, 1.5’’ waterfall line. All plumbing is "TigerFlex" pipe, all lines plumbed individually. Deck: travertine glued over concrete.

8. Back To Top    #8

That's what my best friend said today! Thank