Testing fc with tf-100

Apr 27, 2015
china grove,nc
Ok I got the tf100 kit and also the stirrer. When I do the fc test I have used the stirrer and without. My question is if I use the electric stirrer the water will go clear around 6-8 drops.( I am trying to slam the pool at the moment.) But then I turn it off and the test goes back to pink. Now if I mix it by swirling manually I can get more drops before it goes clear. So which way is the correct way? Once it goes clear that's the count or when it sits for a few seconds keeping adding?? Very confused. On the ph and Ch tester I get a dark yellow as it would appear to be more then the 4 fc as tested with the electric stirrer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As soon as the sample turns clear that's your end point. The sample will turn back to pink if it sits for a bit. Don't add anymore drops at that point. The first time it turns clear that's your FC level.
If it takes 6-8 drops for the sample to turn clear your not at SLAM level FC. What's your CYA level ?

Many people new to the drops based test get some variance,

You simply continue to add drops until the last drop you add makes NO FURTHER change........then subtract that last drop from your total.

So regardless whether you use the speedstir, the mixture should turn clear.....not just your idea of clear but add another drop to make sure there is no further change......make sense?

Many people new to the drops based test get some variance,

You simply continue to add drops until the last drop you add makes NO FURTHER change........then subtract that last drop from your total.

So regardless whether you use the speedstir, the mixture should turn clear.....not just your idea of clear but add another drop to make sure there is no further change......make sense?

yes makes perfect sense, I was just not sure weither it was suppose to be over and done once the clear hit or to let it sit for a few before adding next drop, so I will go back to the speedstir with the test

- - - Updated - - -

As soon as the sample turns clear that's your end point. The sample will turn back to pink if it sits for a bit. Don't add anymore drops at that point. The first time it turns clear that's your FC level.
If it takes 6-8 drops for the sample to turn clear your not at SLAM level FC. What's your CYA level ?

current cya level is low, may even be zero, once it gets to the 20 mark on the tube I can barely see the black dot

Ok please help I don't understand. I have been staying on the thing as best I can for the past three days now with no luck. Started with 8.25 bleach and then went to dollar tree for cheap stuff and today went and found some 12.5%. I have been using the pool math and adding it as my fc test hasn't been over 1 or 2 for the past three days. I have dumped 4 gallons of 12.5 % in tonight from 6pm till 9pm and just tested for fc and got 1 with a high reading of cc. I am about to pull my hair out of here. I have spent close to $75 in just bleach and feel I have got no where!!! What am I doing wrong? Tonight I got home tested water at 6pm and got a reading of 2 fc so went to pool math with a cya of 30 and it targeted 10-12 and requested 1.5 gallon of 12.5. So I pour in 1.5 gallon and check a hour later to get a reding of 1. So i added another dose of 1.5 gallons for a total of 3. Tested at 9 got a reading of 1 maybe 2 fc so I added another gallon for a total of 4 between 6pm and 9pm. Just went out and checked at 10pm and got a reading of 1fc with like a 10cc reading. Please help me!

I am thinking you may have ammonia. I am sure someone else will chime in soon. This is not a overnight process. Be sure to check that the dates on your bleach or liquid chlorine are from 2015. I used some from 2014 and it had lost half of its strength. That slowed me for a few days.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is there another option to get the fc to raise? Was really wanting to take a trip to the beach this weekend but told family I couldn't if the pool wasn't online in time. Is there a different process with ammonia in the water?

Can I add a lot more at one time or still just use what the pool math tells me? Like currently it tells me 1 fc with a target of 12fc I need to add basically 1.9 gallons. Can I double that amount or is that asking for trouble? I don't want to waste the money and time already spent.

AZgirl is right. We can't suggest using the cal hypo without more data. Which would be your pool and makeup water CH level. Green pools take time to get green, and time to clear if you do it right. It won't happen overnight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.