Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Testing fc with tf-100

1. Back To Top    #1

Testing fc with tf-100

Ok I got the tf100 kit and also the stirrer. When I do the fc test I have used the stirrer and without. My question is if I use the electric stirrer the water will go clear around 6-8 drops.( I am trying to slam the pool at the moment.) But then I turn it off and the test goes back to pink. Now if I mix it by swirling manually I can get more drops before it goes clear. So which way is the correct way? Once it goes clear that's the count or when it sits for a few seconds keeping adding?? Very confused. On the ph and Ch tester I get a dark yellow as it would appear to be more then the 4 fc as tested with the electric stirrer.

sj45 swg, tf-100 test kit, 16x32 ig 22,000 gal vinyl, Dolphin nautilus plus

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Testing fc with tf-100

Once it goes clear, you are done. Do the CC portion the same way and then ignore the fact it will turn pink again.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

As soon as the sample turns clear that's your end point. The sample will turn back to pink if it sits for a bit. Don't add anymore drops at that point. The first time it turns clear that's your FC level.
    If it takes 6-8 drops for the sample to turn clear your not at SLAM level FC. What's your CYA level ?
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Many people new to the drops based test get some variance,

You simply continue to add drops until the last drop you add makes NO FURTHER change........then subtract that last drop from your total.

So regardless whether you use the speedstir, the mixture should turn clear.....not just your idea of clear but add another drop to make sure there is no further change......make sense?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Many people new to the drops based test get some variance,

You simply continue to add drops until the last drop you add makes NO FURTHER change........then subtract that last drop from your total.

So regardless whether you use the speedstir, the mixture should turn clear.....not just your idea of clear but add another drop to make sure there is no further change......make sense?

yes makes perfect sense, I was just not sure weither it was suppose to be over and done once the clear hit or to let it sit for a few before adding next drop, so I will go back to the speedstir with the test

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk View Post
    As soon as the sample turns clear that's your end point. The sample will turn back to pink if it sits for a bit. Don't add anymore drops at that point. The first time it turns clear that's your FC level.
    If it takes 6-8 drops for the sample to turn clear your not at SLAM level FC. What's your CYA level ?
    current cya level is low, may even be zero, once it gets to the 20 mark on the tube I can barely see the black dot

6. Back To Top    #6

what is the reason behind not running the swg unit when in demand of high levels of fc?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy688 View Post
    what is the reason behind not running the swg unit when in demand of high levels of fc?
    The SWCG cell has a finite life span. Running it at 100% to help when you are adding liquid anyway is just shortening it's life for no reason. Stick with the liquid.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok please help I don't understand. I have been staying on the thing as best I can for the past three days now with no luck. Started with 8.25 bleach and then went to dollar tree for cheap stuff and today went and found some 12.5%. I have been using the pool math and adding it as my fc test hasn't been over 1 or 2 for the past three days. I have dumped 4 gallons of 12.5 % in tonight from 6pm till 9pm and just tested for fc and got 1 with a high reading of cc. I am about to pull my hair out of here. I have spent close to $75 in just bleach and feel I have got no where!!! What am I doing wrong? Tonight I got home tested water at 6pm and got a reading of 2 fc so went to pool math with a cya of 30 and it targeted 10-12 and requested 1.5 gallon of 12.5. So I pour in 1.5 gallon and check a hour later to get a reding of 1. So i added another dose of 1.5 gallons for a total of 3. Tested at 9 got a reading of 1 maybe 2 fc so I added another gallon for a total of 4 between 6pm and 9pm. Just went out and checked at 10pm and got a reading of 1fc with like a 10cc reading. Please help me!

9. Back To Top    #9

You are the 3rd current thread that seems to have the same problem. Low FC and high CC, likely ammonia in the water.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

I am thinking you may have ammonia. I am sure someone else will chime in soon. This is not a overnight process. Be sure to check that the dates on your bleach or liquid chlorine are from 2015. I used some from 2014 and it had lost half of its strength. That slowed me for a few days.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

11. Back To Top    #11

Is there another option to get the fc to raise? Was really wanting to take a trip to the beach this weekend but told family I couldn't if the pool wasn't online in time. Is there a different process with ammonia in the water?

12. Back To Top    #12

Nope, you have to consume it with chlorine. Keep going until the FC holds and the CC drops.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

Sorry to say , no. Ammonia can take lots of chlorine to oxidize and go away. Keep testing and adding chlorine as often as possible.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

14. Back To Top    #14

Can I add a lot more at one time or still just use what the pool math tells me? Like currently it tells me 1 fc with a target of 12fc I need to add basically 1.9 gallons. Can I double that amount or is that asking for trouble? I don't want to waste the money and time already spent.

15. Back To Top    #15

You can add a little more. If it says close to two gallons round up and make it easy, but don't double it.

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

It is not recommended to go to far above the shock FC level. I will let someone else chime in on that
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

17. Back To Top    #17

But, you can test and add every hour or two to speed along the process.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

18. Back To Top    #18

I have some cal-hypo 73% left over from the owners before, I can use this with the pool math to help speed up and lessen the cost? or just stick with buying stock in bleach lol

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

I would stick with the bleach. You have to be patient. It will happen, but it takes time.
    Lisa

20. Back To Top    #20

AZgirl is right. We can't suggest using the cal hypo without more data. Which would be your pool and makeup water CH level. Green pools take time to get green, and time to clear if you do it right. It won't happen overnight.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast