Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just opened pool, waiting on test kit, advice needed.

1. Back To Top    #1

Just opened pool, waiting on test kit, advice needed.

Hello I just opened a pool at a house I moved into over the winter. Was half empty so I filled it with well water. I have all these leftover chemicals from the previous owner that I was going to use but then....... I started reading this site while the pool was filling. I am now going to use the TFPC method. I put in 3 jugs of bleach but that's where it ended. Right now the water is clear and the pump is running. I tested ph and the color looked like it was at 6.8. I have a TF100 kit on the way. My question is will the pool be ok until I get the test kit and can add chemicals on Friday? Should I do something in the interim? I should have gotten the test kit first but I just did not know. I don't want to mess anything up.

Also concerning the TFPC method:

Is there an order in which I should be adding chemicals? It seems like one thing effects another so I don't want to just add everything all at once and screw it up.

Thanks all.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just opened pool, waiting on test kit, advice needed.

Welcome to TFP!!!

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

You can just add about 2-3ppm of FC every day until you have a test kit. Depending on the pool's size, blindly dumping in 3 gallons of bleach may not have been a very good idea.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Sorry about that - fixed my sig. I thought the amount would be ok based upon what I use for my well water chlorinator. I hope it's okay. You think I should still be adding more on top of that?
    Pool - Vinyl AG between 10,620 and 12,000 gallons depending on calculation I use (15x30x4)
    Sand filter
    Filled with well water
    TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Do not add any more bleach. Likely you have added about 20ppm of FC with those 3 bottles.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

D'oh! Thanks for helping this Noob. Love pools but have never owned one. Really fortunate to have this site and your help.

Edit: Also when I test will I be testing in PPM? When I look at the pool calculator it just has 4.
    Pool - Vinyl AG between 10,620 and 12,000 gallons depending on calculation I use (15x30x4)
    Sand filter
    Filled with well water
    TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by dabills View Post
    Also when I test will I be testing in PPM? When I look at the pool calculator it just has 4.
    Yes, the results will be PPM
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post

Hope you are reading these valuable links offered to you while you are waiting for your kit.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter