New Pool Owner with T-100 Test Results

Tek

Mar 20, 2015
Louisville, KY
Hi,

I have my pool finally opened and was able to do some test results. Just a FYI - I have some of Leslie's Conditioner in a sock in front of one of my returns. I put it out there this morning and it already seems like half is gone.

With that being said here are my results:

PH: 7.8
FC: .5
CC: 2
TA: 110
CYA: >20 ( it went all the way to the top before I was unable to see the black dot.
Water temp: 70

I didn't bother with CH since I have a vinyl pool, but I can do a test if it would help.

There were some chemicals already here from the previous owners although I bought the conditioner myself. There is Leslie's Alkalinity UP ( 14 pound tub I believe ) Those wonderful 1 inch tablets, Pool Perfect + PHOS Free, small tub of Leslie's Soda Ash.

I haven't bothered with adding chlorine since the CYA is so low. I figured it would be a waste. Could it be that since CYA in most cases can take up a week to register on a test that I just need to wait until I get proper readings? I don't want to keep wasting the reagent testing it. Everyone keeps wanting to know when they can swim, is it safe now? My water is clear and blue...I'm actually surprised I'm not seeing algae since my FC is so low and the water temp is high.

Any advice?

You need to get FC in the pool ASAP unless you want algae to start growing.

Maintain the FC at about 2ppm, as soon as the CYA is dissolved, assume it is at the level you targeted and adjust the FC for that CYA level.

Wait, was this a fresh fill? Or were you just opening it? If the later, showing near 0ppm CYA and a CC > 0.5 could point to an ammonia problem.

I think you should raise the FC up to 10ppm with bleach and then test the FC and CC after 30 minutes ... depending on what that shows, you may need to SLAM the pool.

You need at least 60 ounces of 8.25% bleach asap or your going to have a problem soon. Don't use the frog unless you are going out of town. And never use the mineral pack, it puts copper in your pool.

I think you should raise the FC up to 10ppm with bleach and then test the FC and CC after 30 minutes ... depending on what that shows, you may need to SLAM the pool.

Good advice

- - - Updated - - -

The guy that built the pool came by yesterday and said using bleach will fade and damage the vinyl liner. Is that true? My returns are in the shallow 3ft end.

Bleach is putting the same Chlorine in your pool as the frog, just without the cya and copper.

No. The guy has no idea what he is talking about ... just like seemingly every other pool installer out there :hammer: {I am sure there are decent ones out there that do understand, but they are rare}

I think there is more of a danger if you used tablets in a floater and it got stuck in one place.

With returns only in the shallow end, you might consider diluting the bleach / acid before slowly pouring in front of the return jet ... or just be sure to do a quick brush to ensure it is well mixed and not settling on the bottom.

The guy that built the pool came by yesterday and said using bleach will fade and damage the vinyl liner. Is that true? My returns are in the shallow 3ft end.

As long as you pour the bleach slowly either in front of the return or in skimmer you won't have a problem. If you pour too fast it sinks to the bottom before it is dispersed. You can even use a sprayer nozzle on a garden hose if you think the return flow is to slow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks, I will add the bleach tomorrow morning and post the results after 30 minutes. Hopefully I'm not dealing with ammonia. Would the water still be blue?

My pool appeared blue when I started my SLAM. I could only make out the first 6-12" of water. Then I brushed, ran the auto cleaner and brushed more the water turned greenish grayish. Then I just followed everything I learned on here and it paid off. There is a link to my SLAM in my signature if you want to check it out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.