Is my pump / motor adequate?

chuzie

May 14, 2014
Tampa
22,000 gal in ground
70' of 1.5" pipe to pump from skimmer and drain
Hayward super pump with a 1hp marathon motor and Hayward 1750 cartridge filter.

My motor is dying and have come across a rebuilt 1.5 sta-rite dura-glas or 1.5hp Pentair whisper flow setup for $140 on c-list.

I would like to determine if I am better off keeping what I have and replacing the motor. If so, would I be better off with a larger motor?

or

Am I better off with the sta-rite?

Thanks,
Mike

The pump, motor, and impeller must be properly matched in order for the entire system to function as it was designed. You have to consider the Service Factor HP (SFHP) of the motor too. The SFHP is the product of the HP rating times the Service Factor (e.g. a 1 HP motor with a Service Factor of 1.65 = a SFHP of 1.65) This information should be on the label of the motor. I would recommend a replacement motor with the same SFHP of your current motor. Remember to replace the shaft seal when you replace the motor.

I will look at the motor when I get home. I am just bot certain this motor was the correct replacement prior to my moving in. I assume there is a possibility the previous owner may have cheaped out on something less expensive. Just want to be sure.

Sent from my GS3 on Cyanogenmod with the older / better version of Tapatalk!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.