Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is my pump / motor adequate?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is my pump / motor adequate?

22,000 gal in ground
    70' of 1.5" pipe to pump from skimmer and drain
    Hayward super pump with a 1hp marathon motor and Hayward 1750 cartridge filter.

My motor is dying and have come across a rebuilt 1.5 sta-rite dura-glas or 1.5hp Pentair whisper flow setup for $140 on c-list.

I would like to determine if I am better off keeping what I have and replacing the motor. If so, would I be better off with a larger motor?

or

Am I better off with the sta-rite?

Thanks,
    Mike
    22,000 rectangular plaster. Hayward everything on a C1750 cartridge filter and a Liquidator.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is my pump / motor adequate?

The pump, motor, and impeller must be properly matched in order for the entire system to function as it was designed. You have to consider the Service Factor HP (SFHP) of the motor too. The SFHP is the product of the HP rating times the Service Factor (e.g. a 1 HP motor with a Service Factor of 1.65 = a SFHP of 1.65) This information should be on the label of the motor. I would recommend a replacement motor with the same SFHP of your current motor. Remember to replace the shaft seal when you replace the motor.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Is my pump / motor adequate?

I will look at the motor when I get home. I am just bot certain this motor was the correct replacement prior to my moving in. I assume there is a possibility the previous owner may have cheaped out on something less expensive. Just want to be sure.

22,000 rectangular plaster. Hayward everything on a C1750 cartridge filter and a Liquidator.