Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pavers?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Pavers?

One more question from a newbie...

We are adding about 700 sq.ft. of decking around the pool. Concrete is obviously an option, but we are also considering an upgrade to pavers. Small Pavers won't be slippery, but will they be too rough on the feet? And will I have issues with Salt on pavers? Worth the $2500 upgrade?

that's it for now... thanks again!!!
    About to build an in-ground free-from gunite pool in the back yard (no spa). Currently estimated at 19,000 gallons. Likely going with a SWG.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pavers?

Wow, lots of questions. Part of my deck is stamped concrete (about 2/3) and part is pavers (1/3). No one has ever complained about the pavers. As they are really colored concrete I can't imagine you will have problems with a salt system.

I might suggest as you have multiple questions about your build where issues overlap you may want to have one of the moderators merge all three of your threads together. Or not if it works better for you this way.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a stamped coping and paver decking. The pavers have held up far better than the stamped concrete, the coloring in the stamped concrete has faded.

The pavers have settled along with the dirt around the pool, so over the past 8 years, I've add to pull a few sections up, add more crusher run and replace the pavers. I've had sand between the pavers since it's been built and just about yearly ( though I've skipped a few), I'll hose out the crudded up sand and replace it. I've been thinking about the sand that hardens after getting wet, but have not committed to that yet.

Concrete may seem like an easier option to maintain, but as much settling as I've had, I fear that I'd have cracks in it, if it were not reinforced well enough.

As far as heat retention/transfer, both the concrete coping and pavers get very hot in the mid-day summer sun, can't say any one is better than the other.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by crabboy View Post
    I've been thinking about the sand that hardens after getting wet, but have not committed to that yet.
    Polymeric Sand I had this on a patio and sidewalk in a previous house and loved it! But, no pool there so I don't know about any issues that might raise.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

The pavers I got from my PB are very smooth... smoother than raw concrete and smoother than some acrylic coated concrete I've felt. But I've also felt pavers that are ridiculously rough. So many options.

I was originally going to go concrete due to potential paver maintenance issues but I was assured by numerous issue to not worry. I wanted to do stamped concrete but not a lot of people around here so that meant just acrylic coated concrete, which is kind of bland compared to pavers. So we went with pavers. Very happy so far, but it's only been a month! My paver cost was cost neutral to concrete+acrylic with my PB, at least as far as the deck itself. It ended up costing a little more because of the need to bring in concrete strictly to do screen room footers.
    14k Gallon IG Gunite Pool | 13'x29' Rectangle with 13' x 4' Sun Shelf (shallow end)
    Magic Marcite Aqua Pearl Mini Pebble Interior in Bimini Blue
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 011018 Pump, Pentair CCRP 200 Cartridge Filter, Pentair IC40 SWCG
    Pentair IntelliBrite 5G LED, Intermatic MultiWave Wireless Control System

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Wow, lots of questions. Part of my deck is stamped concrete (about 2/3) and part is pavers (1/3). No one has ever complained about the pavers. As they are really colored concrete I can't imagine you will have problems with a salt system.

I might suggest as you have multiple questions about your build where issues overlap you may want to have one of the moderators merge all three of your threads together. Or not if it works better for you this way.

I thought about making one long post, but I always hate reading those, so I separated
    Plus this way folks could click into and respond to just what they had thoughts on.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks crabboy -- I am quite certain the concrete will crack, at least hairline. I think I am leaning toward pavers. Plus easier to repair if needed!
    About to build an in-ground free-from gunite pool in the back yard (no spa). Currently estimated at 19,000 gallons. Likely going with a SWG.

7. Back To Top    #7

I used Belgard pavers for the coping and the pool deck.
    http://www.belgard.com/products/pavers/dublin_cobble

I'm very pleased.

My pavers never get hot....maybe warm but not uncomfortable to walk on.

The pavers are smooth but not slippery..

Salt has had no affect on the pavers.

Settling is THE BIG ISSUE with pavers. When the pool was built, I had the PB put a 5 foot wide skirt around the pool where I was going to install the pavers. This ensured that pavers would either have a base of concrete or virgin ground.

Also, make sure the installer puts heavy duty (not the stuff from Costco) landscape fabric down on the ground before any base material. The landscape fabric provides supports and helps to further reduce the chance of settling.

Pavers.jpg
    IMG_0663.jpg
    2013 HotSpring Grandee with Ace Sanitizing System
    25K IG vinyl pool with Alps spillover spa and waterfall. Build Date: June 2013
    Triton II TR100 Sand Filter, Pentair Master Temp 400 natural gas pool heater, Intellichlor SWG, Rainbow Chlorine Feeder
    Pentair VF filter pump, WhisperFlo 2 hp WFE-8 waterfall pump, WhisperFloFX 2 hp spillover spa pump
    Intellibrite 5G (2 pool and 1 in spa) lights :: TFT-100 test kit, Taylor K-1776 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

I would do it! Pavers look much nicer, and the randomness of the look helps to hide things like any staining or weathering.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

9. Back To Top    #9

I have pavers all around my salt pool. Very smooth, and no salt issues. The only issue I have is with settling, but that is easily corrected. My pool builder laid a base of crushed concrete under the pavers and that has stood up very well.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

10. Back To Top    #10

the big advantage to pavers is if you need to dig for any reason such as a leak in a pipe or skimmer. You can easily remove and replace the pavers instead of having to dig up the concrete.
    25,000 gallon in ground white plaster- 1 1/2 HP Pentair SuperFlo pump - 60 sqft FNS DE filter (with FiberClear), 1999 Sundance Optima 850 hot tub.
    Manassas Park, VA

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks a bunch for the input!