Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Restart - help getting numbers where they need to be!

1. Back To Top    #1

San Antonio, TX

Pool Restart - help getting numbers where they need to be!

Our pool is 4 years old and we just had to drain and refill due to very high CYA. We learned a valuable lesson there and I am now using TFP to maintain the pool. We refilled the pool 4/21. I bought liquid stabilizer and added that 4/29. I know it takes a while to be reflected on the test. Here were my results today::
    FC: 1
    pH: 7.5
    TA: 140
    CH: 125
    CYA: 20

I added chlorine (liquid) today, but my questions are about the other numbers.
    Will the CYA continue to go up? I added a full bottle about 6 days ago.
    Do I need to bring the TA down? I have been adding Muriatic Acid, but the pH hasn't gone below 7.5 (I am basing this on Pool Math:To lower TA you reduce pH to 7.0-7.2 with acid and then aerate to increase pH.) Keep adding?
    Should I be concerned about CH at 125?

We have been maintaining our pool since the beginning, but apparently not very well (see above, drain/refill!) I want to do it right this time and avoid future problems as well as unnecessary $$$$ at the pool store! Thanks for this great resource! I have learned so much already!
    POOL: 13,000 gallons, in ground, plaster, 2011
    FILTER: Hayward 550sqft cartridge
    PUMP: Hayward Tristar 1 1/2 hp 2 speed
    TEST KIT: Taylor TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Pool Restart - help getting numbers where they need to be!

Welcome to TFP!!!

Liquid CYA should show up on the test within a few hours. The solid forms may take a week.

Did you use PoolMath to know how much the CYA was expected to rise?

Ignore the TA it is of least importance to worry about.

That CH is a little low for plaster, especially if you keep lowering the pH into the lower 7s.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Pool Restart - help getting numbers where they need to be!

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on maintaining your own pool!

Here is some required reading from Pool School on water chemistry.
    TFPC for Beginners
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
    Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals to maintain your pool.
    And use PoolMath to figure out how much of what to add to get to the recommended levels.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach