Salt or Ozone... that is the question!

Eddd

May 5, 2015
Frisco, TX
Hi everyone!

I am new to pools, never had one, and am taking the plunge very soon. We are in the planning phases now and down to our favorite 2 contractors; final decision coming soon in hopes that we get to swim some this season!

SWG systems come highly recommended from many friends with pools, so it seams to be a no-brainer, but all of the pool contractor folks I talk to seem to shy away due to erosion concerns.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Edd

Ozone is nearly useless in a typical outdoor residential pool, It may have a place in hot tubs, and therapy pool as well as other high swimmer volume commercial pools, but in your typical residential pool you get more than enough UV from sunlight to break down these waste products that Ozone helps with.

Salt.

I would suggest eliminating the consideration of ozone for an outdoor residential pool. What are you concerned with corrosion on using a SWCG?

I have friends with SWG, (one 9 years, another 7 years, and several others under 3 years) and they have not experienced issues other than some occasional white build up. I am almost definitely going with a SWG, but the highest regarded pool builders in my area (in North Texas) are recommending the Ozone over the SWG. Of course I also recognize that they are 'salespeople' which is why I came here :). That said, I did not want to disregard their concern of stone and/or morter corrosion over time.

At the end of the day, it is not news that salt is corrosive -- then again, so is chlorine. Just doing my due diligence and homework as this is a huge investment.

-Edd

If you want to lower the chance of issues when going with salt ... just avoid the soft natural stones that ALL the pool builders down there seem to push. Don't use flagstone for the coping or around the pool.

At the end of the day, it is not news that salt is corrosive -- then again, so is chlorine. Just doing my due diligence and homework as this is a huge investment.

-Edd
Understood and we agree that folks should conduct due diligence. If more folks dealt with their pool details from the beginning we would have fewer "my pool is green" threads. The "occasional white build up" can be salt, but will appear in almost all pools as splashed water dries an leaves behind all kinds of minerals.

What are you planning for coping around the pool This is the area that people complain about the most with salt, that it react with some stone coping.

Understood and we agree that folks should conduct due diligence. If more folks dealt with their pool details from the beginning we would have fewer "my pool is green" threads. The "occasional white build up" can be salt, but will appear in almost all pools as splashed water dries an leaves behind all kinds of minerals.

What are you planning for coping around the pool This is the area that people complain about the most with salt, that it react with some stone coping.

jblizzle and tim5055,
Right now the options we are considering for coping are pre-cast (might be wrong term, but it basically concrete) or Oklahoma Flagstone. This is supposed to be a relatively hard flagstone. That said, although I like the look of it, if I am better off going with precast (or something else???) I am all ears!

I'm 3 years in with OK flagstone and saltwater. Unsealed. So far it is fine. There are a few pieces that are flaking off and most look the same as when installed. The worst pieces of flagstone I have are on paths nowhere near the pool. So, it is really all about the stone and picking the right pieces/pallet that seem least likely to have issues.

But, if you like some pre-cast concrete go with that as you are less likely to have issues.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks pooldv. I have heard that flaking is natural and happens regardless of where it is (walkway, etc). So some flaking and sand release is expected and normal.
On a different note, do you have issues with shins scraping on the stone as people exit? I have been told this may be another issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.