How much chlorine need to maintain FC levels?

btmansfi

May 5, 2015
Chesapeake, VA
Last year was our first year with the pool and I didn't keep up with testing it as much as I should have. It was always clear so I left it as is! This year I want to get everything running smoothly and actually learn about pool chemistry and be able to maintain the pool with no outside help.

That said, I have a pretty good understand of pool chemistry. Right now our CYA is around 50 but our FC is 0. I will be SLAMming the pool soon but as I got to thinking, I was wondering how much chlorine the Pentair IC40 can produce so that I can determine what % to set it at and how long to run my pump.

We have a roughly 20,000 gallon pool with a DE filter and a Pentair IC40 SWG. I've read that if run at 100% the IC40 will produce 1.4 pounds of chlorine per day. One I have SLAMmed the pool and gotten CC to 0 and FC to 3-5ppm, how much chlorine should my SWG need to generate each day to keep the FC levels constant? I'm looking for that figure in pounds of chlorine, that way I can optimize the pump run time and the SWG output levels.

Thanks!

Gotcha, but my question was more geared towards after the pool has been SLAMmed and is clean and clear. At that point I will need to maintain FC levels of around 4ppm. I know the SWG can produce up to 1.4 pounds of chlorine per day, my question is how much chlorine would I need to produce/day to keep the levels constant at 4ppm?

Taylor K2006

It is normal to have to add 2-4ppm of FC every day. A SWG is usually on the lower end of that.

In your pool, running 24/7 at 100%, the SWG can add a little over 8ppm every day.

So you may be looking at having to run on 100% for 6 hours a day ... or 50% for 12 hours a day. Could be more, could be less. Kind of depends on your pool's exposure to debris and the sun.

Gotcha, but my question was more geared towards after the pool has been SLAMmed and is clean and clear. At that point I will need to maintain FC levels of around 4ppm. I know the SWG can produce up to 1.4 pounds of chlorine per day, my question is how much chlorine would I need to produce/day to keep the levels constant at 4ppm?

Taylor K2006
The way I guess how much is made is as I was coming off my SLAM waiting for the FC to drop below 10 I tested to see how much FC loss I had between 6:30 am and 6:30 pm. My loss is about 7ppm as my CYA has not got back up to 75 yet. Tomorrow as long as I have finally dropped below 10 and can run a full set of tests then I will run my SWG for 6 hours and see what my loss or gain is for the day and then adjust accordingly to keep my FC at the correct level. Sorry I don't really have an answer in terms of pounds.

- - - Updated - - -

I see you're from Sierra Vista. My wife is from there. We're heading that way in July to visit her family. They live in Benson now.

Small world. Most people don't even know where Sierra Vista is....lol I graduated in 1990 from Buena High School.

No reason to think in pounds, better to convert to ppm of FC (which I did for you) and go from there.

Just use the Effects of Adding Chlorine section of PoolMath and enter 1.4 pounds of chlorine gas ... it will tell you that for 20k at best you will get 8.4ppm of FC

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.