Hayward Super Pump - Replacement motor for VFD use

May 24, 2013
Good afternoon,
I hope its not getting boring with the questions about Hayward Motor replacements. Possibly some of this is driven by new energy costs in Canada...?
Anyway, I have a Capacitor start Hayward Super Pump 1HP motor. Not gonna play well with a VFD I want to add into the system.
So, I am wondering if someone can suggest a suitable replacement. Size and operating specs (close enough) and will accept variable input frequency. Not to worry about it being a 3PH motor....I can tap the first two terminals of the three on the VFD.
Why not get a VS rated Hayward pump? I have some automation that I've done and I want to incorporate a programmable VFD which I can control through my home software. Best keep the VFD part separate from the pump. The Hayward style pumps with onboard VFDs have very basic control/timing.
(best if someone can suggest a compatible 3PH replacement....)

Anyway, thanks for any help and advice. Just trying to save on energy costs. And it'll be a fun project.

Kind regards,

Hi Jason,

Yes, there are many options and some cheap 1HP 3PH motors too. My main concern is mating the new dry end to the existing wet end. Even if bolt patterns are the same, the existing Hayward motor has some threading on the end (I believe). It could be tough to find a non-pool related motor with a shaft that could match.

Thanks again.
Cheers

You just need to make sure you get a 56J Frame with a threaded shaft. Also, don't forget to get a matched power cable with the inverter or you might fry the inverter.

In most cases, you would be better off with an off the shelf VS. The Superflo VS has low voltage control so you could go that route for a lot less money.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.