Polaris Booster Pump Loses Prime/Pressure

May 5, 2015
New Orleans, LA
The booster pump starts out strong and the Polaris works fine, but after a couple of minutes, the sound of the pump changes (due to water no longer passing thru the pump, I assume), the outflow hose gets soft (no water passing) and the Polaris basically dies (usually in the deep end, not sure if that is significant). I have hooked up a couple of different crawlers and the same thing happens, so it's not a Polaris malfunction. This just started happening and is a change, it used to work just fine. I don't see any obvious leaks at the booster pump. Any suggestions? Thx.

I'm a "try the easiest possibility first" kinda guy. Which would be easier to check for blockage? Where would I check for suction specific to the booster? I can take the pump apart and check for issues, but I assume the suction check would be an easier first step? Thx.

I assume the suction line attaches to the main plumbing after the filter. So that is hard to inspect. You could try pulling the hose off the front of the booster pump and turn the main pump on and see that you are getting a lot of flow out of the hose. Then pull the pump apart and check the impeller.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.