Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Polaris Booster Pump Loses Prime/Pressure

1. Back To Top    #1

Polaris Booster Pump Loses Prime/Pressure

The booster pump starts out strong and the Polaris works fine, but after a couple of minutes, the sound of the pump changes (due to water no longer passing thru the pump, I assume), the outflow hose gets soft (no water passing) and the Polaris basically dies (usually in the deep end, not sure if that is significant). I have hooked up a couple of different crawlers and the same thing happens, so it's not a Polaris malfunction. This just started happening and is a change, it used to work just fine. I don't see any obvious leaks at the booster pump. Any suggestions? Thx.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Polaris Booster Pump Loses Prime/Pressure

Welcome to TFP!!!

Is your main pump running at the time this happens?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, main pump is always running and I do not notice a change in its activities when the booster pump loses water pressure. Thx

4. Back To Top    #4

Odd. Sounds like a blockage is occurring either on the suction side or in the impeller.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm a "try the easiest possibility first" kinda guy. Which would be easier to check for blockage? Where would I check for suction specific to the booster? I can take the pump apart and check for issues, but I assume the suction check would be an easier first step? Thx.

6. Back To Top    #6

I assume the suction line attaches to the main plumbing after the filter. So that is hard to inspect. You could try pulling the hose off the front of the booster pump and turn the main pump on and see that you are getting a lot of flow out of the hose. Then pull the pump apart and check the impeller.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

Great! I would suspect a busted impeller shaft if there was no movement at all, but that 3 minutes of up time perplexes me. I'll take a look at it and let you know what I find. Thx.