Coleman vs Intex & skimmer vs ground pump

Aug 8, 2012
Every few years we usually get a new Intex brand pool (the pumps go out) but I'm having issues finding one over 40" this year. We were looking at a 48" Coleman metal frame pools, is this a reputable brand? I know the differences between a side skimmer and the ground pump but which works better? The one that comes with this is a 1500gph ground pump and it seems a bit dinky for the water capacity (4500-5000gals), would it be possible to spend around $150 on a decent pump upgrade or would it cost much more than that? We live in an extremely dry and dusty area and always seem to have cloudy water issues even though all the levels are good.

There are 2 we're looking at, one is 16' x 48" round (5100 gals @ 90%) and the other is 18' x 9' x 48" rectangular (3100 gals @ 90%). I'm all for adding a sand filter and just realized that if we go with the rectangular one it comes with a sand filter. If we go with the cheaper round one we'll have to add on the sand filter ourselves, are Intex pumps compatible with Coleman pools?

You may have to get the Intex adapters. Intex has their own style and size of fittings on their pools. When i bought my sand filter, the Intex adapters came standard with the pump, and that was one of the factors when i made my purchase. I do not know what style of fittings Coleman uses, so i would just be prepared.

Just installed my new 16'x 48" Coleman steel frame pool. Looked at the installation cd, instructions. Looked straightforward. Filled her up. When full, started to install pump and realised there is no bloody skimmer ! They only come with 2 plastic screen ! Will try to phone them up this morning but have a feeling I'll have to fit my old Intex skimmer on it or get a sand filter. Coleman used to make more sens to me !

Just installed my new 16'x 48" Coleman steel frame pool. Looked at the installation cd, instructions. Looked straightforward. Filled her up. When full, started to install pump and realised there is no bloody skimmer ! They only come with 2 plastic screen ! Will try to phone them up this morning but have a feeling I'll have to fit my old Intex skimmer on it or get a sand filter. Coleman used to make more sens to me !

I just put up the same pool and I don't see a skimmer either. I called and the gal was hard to understand and didn't make any sense so I just hung up and will call another time. I don't see anything in the instructions that mentions a skimmer.

Typically soft-sided pools such as Intex and Coleman do not have a skimmer included with the package. Many of us have added a Hayward skimmer to our soft-sided above ground pools. It's not hard, you just have to pick a spot, and cut out the liner (scary for us first-timers!). We did ours with a full pool, by plumbing the outside part of the skimmer to the pump, mounting the inside ring to the outside part, tightening all the bolts, and then cutting the liner. There are lots of threads on this forum with pictures and instructions. Having a wall skimmer made TONS of difference in how much drops to the bottom of the pool and has to be vacuumed!

Good Luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.