Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Coleman vs Intex & skimmer vs ground pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Coleman vs Intex & skimmer vs ground pump

Every few years we usually get a new Intex brand pool (the pumps go out) but I'm having issues finding one over 40" this year. We were looking at a 48" Coleman metal frame pools, is this a reputable brand? I know the differences between a side skimmer and the ground pump but which works better? The one that comes with this is a 1500gph ground pump and it seems a bit dinky for the water capacity (4500-5000gals), would it be possible to spend around $150 on a decent pump upgrade or would it cost much more than that? We live in an extremely dry and dusty area and always seem to have cloudy water issues even though all the levels are good.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Coleman vs Intex & skimmer vs ground pump

Sounds like an upgrade to an Intex sand filter might be a good idea.

And welcome to TFP!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I second the sand filter. I love mine. What size besides height of 48" are you looking for?
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

There are 2 we're looking at, one is 16' x 48" round (5100 gals @ 90%) and the other is 18' x 9' x 48" rectangular (3100 gals @ 90%). I'm all for adding a sand filter and just realized that if we go with the rectangular one it comes with a sand filter. If we go with the cheaper round one we'll have to add on the sand filter ourselves, are Intex pumps compatible with Coleman pools?

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Should be ompatible. Both AGP's just different names.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

You may have to get the Intex adapters. Intex has their own style and size of fittings on their pools. When i bought my sand filter, the Intex adapters came standard with the pump, and that was one of the factors when i made my purchase. I do not know what style of fittings Coleman uses, so i would just be prepared.
    Randy H.

Intex 18' X 48"
    G.A.M.E. Sandpro 75 Sand Filter (Single Speed 3/4 HP, 75 lbs sand, 2650 GPH, 7-way valve)

7. Back To Top    #7

Just installed my new 16'x 48" Coleman steel frame pool. Looked at the installation cd, instructions. Looked straightforward. Filled her up. When full, started to install pump and realised there is no bloody skimmer ! They only come with 2 plastic screen ! Will try to phone them up this morning but have a feeling I'll have to fit my old Intex skimmer on it or get a sand filter. Coleman used to make more sens to me !

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by danyboy View Post
    Just installed my new 16'x 48" Coleman steel frame pool. Looked at the installation cd, instructions. Looked straightforward. Filled her up. When full, started to install pump and realised there is no bloody skimmer ! They only come with 2 plastic screen ! Will try to phone them up this morning but have a feeling I'll have to fit my old Intex skimmer on it or get a sand filter. Coleman used to make more sens to me !
    I just put up the same pool and I don't see a skimmer either. I called and the gal was hard to understand and didn't make any sense so I just hung up and will call another time. I don't see anything in the instructions that mentions a skimmer.

9. Back To Top    #9

Typically soft-sided pools such as Intex and Coleman do not have a skimmer included with the package. Many of us have added a Hayward skimmer to our soft-sided above ground pools. It's not hard, you just have to pick a spot, and cut out the liner (scary for us first-timers!). We did ours with a full pool, by plumbing the outside part of the skimmer to the pump, mounting the inside ring to the outside part, tightening all the bolts, and then cutting the liner. There are lots of threads on this forum with pictures and instructions. Having a wall skimmer made TONS of difference in how much drops to the bottom of the pool and has to be vacuumed!

Good Luck!
    Intex 16 ft. x 48 in. above ground round pool.
    Intex 2800 gph 18" sand filter
    Intex salt-water chlorine generation system
    Newly installed, placed into service 6/9/15
    (back/knees still recovering...)