Upgrading Hayward Superpump to dual or variable speed. Options?

fields_g

Dec 25, 2014
Rockville, MD
I have a single speed Hayward Superpump (1HP 1.1SF). I'd like to replace it with a dual or variable speed unit. It seems I have two general paths: Full pump replacement or dry end exchange. It seems that the dry end exchange would be a very simple process. Full pump replacement though, would allow me to plumb some unions and remove the 2" to 1.5" adaptors at the inlet and outlet.

Dry end exchange models:
A. O. Smith B975T (1.4 THP dual speed)
A. O. Smith ECM16CU (1.65 THP variable)
A. O. Smith ECM27CU (2.7 THP variable /w integrated aux control for booster pump)

Full pump replacement models:
Hayward Max-Flo VS SP2300VSP/SP2302VSP (upgrade to 2" piping connections)
Hayward Super Pump VS Variable Speed Pump SP2600VSP/SP2602VSP (have a spare wet end, still 1.5")

The B975T and ECM16CU are almost half the price of the ECM27CU or the full pump replacements. I'm leaning toward the ECM16CU, but could be persuaded something else, listed here or not.

[EDIT: If anyone is interested.... Pool has two returns, one skimmer, a single main drain, and a booster pump for a polaris]

What is the SF and HP on your existing motor? You need to match that unless you intend to get a different impeller too (at least for the 2-speed you need to make sure the motor is rate at or above the impeller).

In Marland the electric rates are not high enough to make the variable speed a clear financial winner, the way it would be in California. Also, variable speed pumps seem to have more problems than single/dual speed pumps. Assuming that your existing wet end is working reasonably well, I would go with the A. O. Smith B975T. Still, the A. O. Smith ECM16CU isn't completely unreasonable or anything.

In Marland the electric rates are not high enough to make the variable speed a clear financial winner, the way it would be in California. Also, variable speed pumps seem to have more problems than single/dual speed pumps. Assuming that your existing wet end is working reasonably well, I would go with the A. O. Smith B975T. Still, the A. O. Smith ECM16CU isn't completely unreasonable or anything.

My last bill was $0.135/kwh after distribution and taxes. I'd have to save 3,000 kwh....(3,300 kwh with saltwater gokit) to break even. If I run for 6 hours daily, for 6 months yearly, any idea what the break-even is? My guess was 2.5 to 3 years.

I went with 2 speed and have been happy, I kept open all winter and low speed and didn't cost me much in the electric bill. A friend has a Vs and I think it would be nice from time to time to adjust the flow for my deck jets but that's about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.