Opinions on buying a new SWG?

Apr 12, 2015
IL
Hello all.

I just received two quotes on installing an SWG:
1. AquaRite w/ 40,000 salt cell installed = $1750
2. AquaPlus w/ 40,000 salt cell installed = $2140

I am not 100% sure I want to convert to salt yet. I feel like it would be quite a bit more expensive than using the BBB method if I do. I am also assuming that I will have to run my pump longer also.

However, I really like the idea of pool automation for when I go out of town.

This is my first summer of owning a pool and using BBB. I don't know what I will feel like after the summer has gone by---but so far this is easy work to maintain and perform the daily tests. I may decide that I want a SWG at some point in time.

However, I *really* want the automation. Do you think I should consider a separate automation system or is the price difference not enough to wait on the SWG? If I did just get the automation, would I be able to get an AquaRite and hook it up to the existing system down the road?

Thanks!

The Hayward 40k cell is on the small side for your pool, so you may be right that you would have to run the pump longer. You should look at larger SWGs, like in the 60k range (Circupool is one option).

Generally the costs between the SWG and bleach is a wash if you look at the long term. You just pay more upfront with the SWG.

You can certainly look into an automation system and add the SWG later. Although like I said, the Hayward may not be the best route. You could get a low end Pentair automation system and later add the IC60 SWG. Or just have a SWG that is not integrated into the automation.

What exactly do you need the automation for?

One big question is what you mean by "automation". There are various uses of that work in the pool industry. A typical "automation" system lets you turn the pump, lights, fountains, on off either on a timer or via a remote control. I suspect that is not what you are talking about.

Adding a SWG will let you go a couple of days, to maybe a week between checks of the pool chemical levels, once everything is setup and working well. But it doesn't prevent the need for testing at least once a week, and it does nothing to help clean out the skimmer basket. No available system of any kind that does not include human assistance will let you go much more than a week with any confidence.

If nothing breaks unusually early, a SWG will end up costing roughly the same as using bleach/liquid chlorine. It may come out more, or less, depending on various details, but overall they tend to break even.

We recommend getting a SWG that is sized for a pool 1.5 to 3 times larger than the pool you actually have. The AuqaRite is smaller than we recommend using for your pool. It will still work, but you will very likely need to increase your pump run time and the cell won't last nearly as long as a larger cell would. Unfortunately, AquaRite doesn't make a larger cell, though some of the other brands do.

I think the automation pmaroun is referring to the pH/ORP sensor kit available with the AquaPlus. I have used no automation past the pair of Intermatic timers on my pool, but if I was going to invest in automation, I would also consider the Omnilogic controller. Its interface with web, android, and iphone looks pretty interesting. It is still a pretty new system so availability and experience might be harder to come by.

Good question.

For me automation is about controlling my pump and cover when I'm gone. I assume with an SWG that would include controlling the Salt Generator also. I know the AquaPlus has a sensor for the water built in.. Come to think of it, that sensor would also be useful for when I'm gone.

However, I work from home. When I'm here, I will be checking the levels every day or so. I don't need the sensors for normal use.

The AquaPlus does not have any sensors for the water besides the temperature. It does include the SWG cell that sort of "measures" the salt level.

To just control the pump and cover, seems like you do not need any form of automation .. just simple timers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.