Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand filter worth it for Intex pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand filter worth it for Intex pool?

I have a new 22x52 intex pool with the regular cartridge and Krystal clear salt which will be up this weekend. The pool will only be used during summer and then stored for the rest of the year. Is it worth to upgrade to a sand filter?

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Best sand filter for $ - 16' Intex ultra

I don't take my pool down, but with my experience I have been much happier with my sand filter. It takes a bit to get used to and know when to backwash, but better than buying cartrige filters and changing them out every couple of weeks.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Sand filter worth it for Intex pool?

Yes!!! It was the best thing we've done for our pool!
    Pool Owner since 2013 . 15'x48" AG Intex Metal Frame . 4500 Gallons . Intex 2100 GPH Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

I upgraded mine to a Hayward pump and sand filter. I'd never go back!
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

5. Back To Top    #5

What Hayward pump and filter did you use?
    Tim Jacobsen Lodi Ca.
    18'x48" Intex Ultra Frame (5700 Gallons)
    TF 100 Test Kit, Speedstir, & Sample Sizer. Liquidator Installed.
    Hayward C550 Cartridge Filter (55 Sq. Ft.), 1HP Powerflo LX Pump, Pool Rover Jr.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...uild-Questions

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes!!
    My first year I had a couple paper filters, and would spray them out but it was like everyday!
    Went to sand filter and pump and Hayward wall skimmer and hard plumb....oh and Swg!

Never would do it different!

Oh and I have to change sit. Now have 18x52 intex
    Intex Ultra Frame 18' x 52"
    Intex 3000 gph Sand Filter Pump, Intex Salt Water System SWG
    Hayward Thru Wall Skimmer and stock return line
    Two Hayward I lets
    Florida/Alabama

7. Back To Top    #7

Most definately. Upgrade the pump/sand filter combo. along with ease of cleaning, you also get added circulation for running suction side cleaners.
    Randy H.

Intex 18' X 48"
    G.A.M.E. Sandpro 75 Sand Filter (Single Speed 3/4 HP, 75 lbs sand, 2650 GPH, 7-way valve)

8. Back To Top    #8

Love my sand filter. I am kinda over kill on my 16x48. I have a Hayward 3/4 hp superpump with an s200 sand filter from an inground pool. I never have to worry about cloudy water!

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes get one, you wont regret.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    2017-Intex Ultra Frame 16x48 5000 Gallons
    Intex 2800GPH Pump with 14" Intex Sand Filter
    My Intex Pool Setup Video :Intex pool rises from the ashes - installing and leveling - EP-72 - YouTube

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by titleistseemore View Post
    What Hayward pump and filter did you use?

That's my pump and filter info. Not sure if this filter is still available but I wouldn't recommend it only because it's the only one Hayward makes that doesn't have an easily replaceable spider gasket for the multiport. It was a pain to replace it. I'd probably buy a bigger filter if I had it to do over. Might as well go bigger. Means more time between backwashes.

I can't say enough good things about the pump though. It's been running 24/7 for 2 years now. lol The energizer bunny pump...

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks,
    I think I will get that pump in a combo unit that comes with the filter, did some reseach last night on the net and found a few that I like and they come with the Power-Flo 1hp pump
    Tim Jacobsen Lodi Ca.
    Hayward C550 Cartridge Filter (55 Sq. Ft.), 1HP Powerflo LX Pump, Pool Rover Jr.

12. Back To Top    #12

Yeah I actual got mine from leslie's. Probably could have saved money buying it somewhere else but I didn't know that at the time!

13. Back To Top    #13

I bought some of my stuff at Leslies before I started to search online for pricing... Cheaper online but you have to take the time to really look. Leslies has always been good to me when I go in there for questions and stuff, So I try to purchase items there when I can ...
    Tim Jacobsen Lodi Ca.

14. Back To Top    #14

Hayward Pro Flo Matrix 3/4 hp and Intex 2650 sand filter. Going on year three with the filter and year two with the pump. I am very happy with the setup.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

15. Back To Top    #15

I also have the Intex 22' x 52" Ultra Frame Swimming Pool using the two Intex 2500 GPH cartridge filters and the Krystal Clear salt system. While it was better then the year before with
    just one filter and no salt system, I still don't think it was quite up to par. I believe these Intex pump/filters are not designed for such a large volume of water (10,000+ gallons). Don't get
    me wrong, I loved the salt water system vs chlorine. I just don't think the pumps had enough "umph" to do the trick. My water was clean, but not crystal clear.

I recently bought a used Hayward SP1580X15 PowerFlo LX Aboveground Pool Pump, 1.5HP 115V and filter for $75. I thought this was a good deal as it was only 1 season old.
    I plan on using it this year replacing the Intex ones. Also taking into consideration the model of the Krystal Clear salt water system I have. Mine has the built in pump.

So I had planned on using them both if I can. I am not sure on where my model salt water system can run "inline" with the Hayward pump and filter though. If not, then I plan
    on just cutting two holes on the opposite side and plumbing it there. This way salt water system on one side and Hayward pump and sand filter on the other.
    I am still not firm on what route I am taking yet. But I don't think using two pumps inline would work well for the salt water system.

16. Back To Top    #16

Yes, yes, yes............totally worth it! Our pool is only up for 3-4 months, and i's the best thing I ever did with it. I bought an Intex pump and sand filter.
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.