New Pool Owner

AdamS

Bronze Supporter
May 5, 2015
New Milford, New Jersey
Hi Everyone,

I bought a new house in September and had the pool closed a week later so I didn't really deal with it.

I am having the pool opened next Saturday and trying to learn and educate myself on caring and maintaining the for the pool.
My first question is about floating chlorine dispenser, what do people feel about them? There is actually an attached chlorinator but it seemed like pain to open, so someone suggested a floating chlorine dispenser.

The pool has a heater but I am concerned about cost, does everyone recommend a solar pool blanket/cover?

Thanks for your help,

Adam

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

We generally do not recommend the use of trichlor tablets as the sole source of chlorine; whether you use the inline chlorinator or a floater. The reason is the accumulation of stabilizer (CYA).

I recommend that you immediately invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits so that you might have it by the time you open. And spend some time reading/learning/and asking questions.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Welcome Adam.

The use of trichlor puck and the floater will make your CYA level go up and your pH plummet. We either recommend you invest in a SWG or exclusively use unscented bleach.

Investing in a test kit is your number one priority in taking control of your pool. The TF100 will get you the most product for your money.

Pool School will offer you many articles that will help you understand your pool water's chemistry and educate you on the maintenance and care.

Pool covers are good for night time use to keep the pool from losing heat.

Welcome Adam.

The use of trichlor puck and the floater will make your CYA level go up and your pH plummet. We either recommend you invest in a SWG or exclusively use unscented bleach.

Investing in a test kit is your number one priority in taking control of your pool. The TF100 will get you the most product for your money.

Pool School will offer you many articles that will help you understand your pool water's chemistry and educate you on the maintenance and care.

Pool covers are good for night time use to keep the pool from losing heat.

I use unscented bleach, but not exclusively.....if I find the higher % chlorinating liquid at a better price I jump on it. Either works fine. Just make sure the chlorinating liquid isn't old. The advantage to bleach is its stock rotates fast in grocery stores.

Thank you everyone, I ordered my test kit and it will be here next week before I open the pool.
Do most people recommend getting the solar cover, and if so, what size? I will be putting on and taking off myself most of the time.

Thanks for the help!

The size of the solar cover will match your pool. Most are similar to bubble wrap that floats on the pool surface. You cut it to fit as close to the edge of the pool as possible. You can build/buy a roller to help remove it fro the pool.

I will caution you to watch and understand what the folks opening your pool plan to put in the water BEFORE they do so. You really want to avoid algecides especially if they contain metals. Most folks opening pools also like to dump massive amounts of dichlor shock into the pool. Dichlor containers a lot of stabilizer, and you should really know your stabilizer level before they do that.

If you are planning to follow the methods we teach here understand that they will not match those recommendations of most pool stores. We believe in accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs when it needs it.