Vinyl Pools and Skimmer Lids

Greetings! We are installing a 18x36 vinyl pool w/14" blue stone coping and Teko-Blok patio. I want to make sure the skimmer lids fall completely outside of the coping, so that it forms a smooth rectangle. My installer is telling me that this is not possible with a vinyl pool, and that he will have to cut into to the blue stone... What do you guys think?

On a vinyl pool, in most cases, the cutout on the pool wall is made to size of the skimmer to be used.
The mouth of the skimmer obvioiusly bolts to that spot.

The length of the throat is what will dictate the location of the lid on the deck.

There are skimmer extensions available, but whether or not they are avialable for the model of skimmer being used, and will match the cut out in teh pool wall might be in question. As well as the lenght of skimmer extensions available.

You might ask your PB about the possibility of doing this. Most PB's are sort of set in their ways and getting them to accept a alternative idea sometimes can be a sensitive conversation.

skimmer extension
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...527&thid=JN.CWfDPtfm5D1T1L6yfeJ8iQ&ajaxhist=0

I guess I dont know exactly what is meant by "commercial skimmer encased in concrete", so I guess Im not much help.

If an extension cant be done, then what about a "pour a lid" for the skimmer? It may not match your bluestone exactly, but should be able to come close, and not have that white lid spoiling the view!
here is a website with what a pour a lid is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZlCxZSx_-Y

or maybe explore the option of having a skimmer cover made of bluestone? (dont know how possible or feasible this might be though).

The PB explained that he encases the skimmers in concrete which will make them more powerful and longer lasting. One solution would be for him to not encase the skimmer, and in this case he can add a skimmer extension. This would also incur additional labor that was not priced in the original deal. Another proposed solution would be to use 12" coping, and have the blue stone overhang the pool by 2" (instead of 1.5"). What do you guys think?

Im of the opinion to agree with Bama Ramber.

This is your pool and if you like your 14" coping instead of 12, and dont want it cut, then that's what you should get.
I also see no reason the extension cant be cast in concrete. Its is indeed minimal and in the overall scope of the project, a very minor detail.

The PB explained that he encases the skimmers in concrete which will make them more powerful and longer lasting. One solution would be for him to not encase the skimmer, and in this case he can add a skimmer extension. This would also incur additional labor that was not priced in the original deal. Another proposed solution would be to use 12" coping, and have the blue stone overhang the pool by 2" (instead of 1.5"). What do you guys think?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Apologies for overlooking this question yesterday.
For me personally, I wouldnt want the overhang .. because it will interfere with my cleaning robot which climbs the walls.
I dont like the look of too much overhang either.

However, other than that, Im not aware of anything actually wrong with it. I suppose its more about personal likes and dislikes.

Do you think the 2" overhang on the blue stone coping is too much?

An overhang on a vinyl pool helps hide the liner track and make it look more like a gunite pool. Take something (preferably a piece of the coping) and compare 1 1/2" to 2" and see what you think. Also imagine a kid swimming up the side of the wall and popping up with the overhang right in their face. 2" might be too much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.