Advice please, first time opening with new liner using BBB method

JennB

May 30, 2014
Fultondale, AL
New liner just installed. Where do I begin? Is there any point in testing water first or just start adding bleach, etc based on poolmath? Obviously there is no chlorine yet. I have been using BBB method but not with new liner install. I have a TF-100 test kit. Thanks!

It is always good to start with test results. But we know that the CYA is 0 and we know that the FC is likely 0 (unless you have some in the tap water). So you could add 2ppm of FC and get the CYA dissolving before you test. You do want to check and adjust the pH, TA, and check the CH if even for reference of where you started.

You can use tablets ... they are just slow to add the FC and CYA.
If you are going to use them, since they are acidic, you should raise your TA up to around 100ppm.

Start by raising your TA, up to around 80 for liquid chlorine/bleach, or 120 if you are going to use tablets.

Tablets have pros and cons, usually the cons outweigh the pros. I would save them for when you are going to be away from the pool for a few days. Tablets raise CYA very slowly, so you need at least some CYA to start out with either way.

OK got it. Forget the tablets! Raise TA to 80, then add bleach and go get some stabilizer. Sound good? Thanks for everything.
This is certainly the easier to understand path forward. The tablets just do too many things and can get confusing. Holding them for a vacation is a good idea.

Yes I agree. I still have some pre-bbb method thoughts that need to be eradicated from my brain...

Last question, I promise...maybe ;) Should I add half the amount of baking soda at a time since it's a big increase? If so, what is waiting time to retest and add the rest?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.